I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Psycho

+3
proust.
makoto kino.
the takedown.
7 posters

Go down

American Psycho Empty American Psycho

Post by the takedown. Tue 07 Oct 2008, 9:21 am

by Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho is a thriller novel by Bret Easton Ellis published in 1991. It is a first-person narrative of the life of a wealthy young Manhattanite and self-professed psychopathic serial killer. The graphic violence and sexual content generated much commentary at the novel's release. A film adaptation was released in 2000 to mostly positive reviews[1] although the film was heavily edited and did not convey the graphic sex and violence scenes as literally as in the novel. That same year, Ellis approved emails collected under the title "AmPsycho 2000 Emails" that were sent from main character Patrick Bateman to his therapist.[2] Users could sign up to receive these emails at Universal's website for the movie.

Set in Manhattan and beginning on April Fools' Day 1987, American Psycho spans roughly two years in the life of wealthy young investment banker Patrick Bateman. Bateman, 26 years old when the story begins, narrates his everyday activities, from his daily life among the upper-class elite of New York to his forays into murder by nightfall.

Bateman comes from a privileged background, having graduated from Philips Exeter Academy, Harvard (class of 1984), and then Harvard Business School (class of 1986). He works as a vice president at a Wall Street investment company and lives in an expensive Manhattan apartment on the Upper West Side. He embodies the 1980s yuppie culture. Through present tense stream-of-consciousness narrative he describes his conversations with colleagues in bars and cafes, his office, and nightclubs, satirizing the vanity of Manhattan yuppies.

The first third of the book contains no violence, and is simply an account of what seems to be a series of Friday nights, as Bateman documents traveling with his colleagues to a variety of nightclubs, where they snort cocaine, drink a variety of alcoholic beverages, critique fellow clubgoers' clothing, trade fashion advice, and question one another on proper etiquette.

Beginning with the second third of the book, Bateman begins to describe his day-to-day activities, which range from committing brutal violence (such as the torture of a young woman by trapping a rat in her cheese-smeared vagina) to such mundanities as renting videotapes and making dinner reservations. Bateman's stream of consciousness is occasionally broken up by chapters in which Bateman directly addresses the reader in order to critique the work of 1980s musicians, specifically Genesis, Huey Lewis and the News and Whitney Houston.

I just got up to the second third THIS SMILEY IS EVIL
the takedown.
the takedown.
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 1907

http://www.iamrevolution.net

Back to top Go down

American Psycho Empty Re: American Psycho

Post by makoto kino. Tue 07 Oct 2008, 10:41 am

I've seen bits of the movie on youtube but I'm not too sure if I want to read the book now...
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Tue 07 Oct 2008, 6:00 pm

I read about half of the book and then got bored of it and threw it away.
At first I wanted to buy Glamorama because I heard a lot about Bret Easton Ellis and wanted to read something by him but I saw American Psycho next to it a the shop and the cover looked better. It featured a three-handed Bateman. For some reason the fact amused me and I bought it.

Anyway, I had expected some gore and maybe passionate murders.
Instead I got pages and pages and pages of clothes brands.
It annoyed me. I don't think I'll ever finish it. It's just too long. I've read 270 pages and it felt like almost nothing happened in them.
But I might read Glamorama after all. I like the title. And supermodels.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by Havok. Wed 08 Oct 2008, 1:52 am

Iiiiii wanna read that! I wanna see the film too... Tis awesome lol@chu
Havok.
Havok.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 179

http://www.myspace.com/mcrmygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by THE BRIGHTSIDE. Mon 12 Jan 2009, 5:57 pm

Gah I really want to read this. And watch the movie. It seems like my kind of novel... hmmmm
THE BRIGHTSIDE.
THE BRIGHTSIDE.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 286

http://bjbrightside.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by we are invincible. Wed 29 Apr 2009, 1:14 pm

I've seen the movie, like heaps... whatnow? O_O And I reserved the book at the library. But when I went there today she wouldn't give it me, 'cause it's restricted to under 18s. :-narrows eyes-
we are invincible.
we are invincible.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1272

Back to top Go down

Post by more adventurous. Wed 03 Jun 2009, 8:02 am

I'm about 130 pages in and I've heard this is where it starts to get graphic.
He actually went crazy on a hobo, but I'm pretty sure it's tame compared to what's going to come. And that scares me.

I was reading it in class and had to stop. I was getting disturbed.

Anyway, it seems decent so far. The author's writing intrigues me. I've read Less Than Zero and liked it. His writing reminds me of Palahniuk's. Except way way way more disturbing and twisted.
more adventurous.
more adventurous.
Administrator.

Female
Number of posts : 4753

http://libbeyinreallife.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down