The Abhorsen Trilogy

Go down

The Abhorsen Trilogy

Post by she had the world. on Mon 24 Nov 2008, 7:24 pm

...is <3

Written by Australian author Garth Nix. Use to be known as 'The Old Kingdom Trilogy' but I have no idea why it was changed. The series consists of three books (considering it's a trilogy and all. xD) Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.

My favourite books everrrrrr. I love them, and can re-read them over and over. Sabriel, is my favourite.

A little about them: (from Wikipedia)

About the books...
The Old Kingdom series (also known as the Abhorsen series in North America) is a trilogy of books by Garth Nix. It begins with Sabriel, followed by Lirael and Abhorsen. In addition, a novella set after the trilogy entitled Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case was released, first separately for World Book Day and later as the lead story of the short story collection Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories. A second short story, An Extract of the Journal of Idrach the Lesser Necromancer, was written with exclusive distribution through the official Abhorsen Trilogy web site. Garth Nix has announced two additions to the series: a prequel and a "sequel of sorts to Abhorsen". While the sequel is unnamed, the prequel has the working title Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen.The books are slated to appear in 2010 and 2011.[1]

Sabriel
Lirael
Abhorsen

I would attempt at explaining the books by myself, but they're really complicated... Nix has so much stuff in this series that you just need to read to understand. There is different species, different places, different magic and has basically invented his own for of magic called 'The Charter.'

If you're into dark fantasy, you should check them out.

Oh and.. there's a website. Here.

There has been rumours about a movie for years, and Nix's blog he has stated that he's planning to hold off until he gets an offer by a director he respects that would do his books justice. Recently though, he has announced on his blog once again that a 'package' for the film of Sabriel has been taken to Hollywood and is to be directed by Dan Futterman. Not big news for you guys, but for me it's "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG."

So... anyone else?
she had the world.
Administrator.

Female
Number of posts : 509

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Abhorsen Trilogy

Post by trailingbehind on Thu 08 Jan 2009, 7:24 pm

Oh yeah, they are good books! They don't try and force you to accept some dogma like others, it's just easy reading.

I think if you liked that trilogy you'd also Isobelle Carmody's work - if you havn't already been there and done that.
trailingbehind
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down