I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(c) He Doesn't Cry. (PG)

2 posters

Go down

(c) He Doesn't Cry. (PG) Empty (c) He Doesn't Cry. (PG)

Post by zero Sun 11 Jan 2009, 1:24 pm

He Doesn't Cry.
Type: Drabble, Complete, Ryden friendship. 481 words.
Rating: PG.

---

Ryan doesn’t cry. The last time he did was when he was seven when he fell down the stairs. He was left there on the ground weeping while his father watched from the window, probably sipping on a can of beer. After crying the whole day, he didn’t cry again. He didn’t cry when his father died – but it wasn’t like he didn’t want to.

It was like he used up all of his tears all in that one day.

He doesn’t understand. Nobody does. Not even Brendon and he knows everything about Ryan. He’s so frustrated about it, even more than Ryan is.

One day they were watching Titanic in their bus. It was just the two of them, Ryan leaning on Brendon’s shoulder. Just when the movie was about to end, Brendon heard Ryan sigh.

He looked down and saw Ryan’s miserable face – it was heart breaking.

“Ryry?” he whispered, tucking his finger under Ryan’s cheek. He pulled his face up and looked at the brown moons starting at him. “What’s wrong?”

Ryan’s face dropped down again. He buried his face in the nape of Brendon’s neck and he sighed again. “I wanna cry,” he said in a small whisper. Brendon chuckled and wrapped his arm around Ryan’s shoulder and pulled him close.

“Then cry.”

“I can’t.”

Then Brendon made Ryan upset. Brendon said it was okay, but it wasn’t. Not for Ryan. He ran off to his bunk, and Brendon didn’t bother anymore. He was angry, not at Ryan, but at himself. He made himself coffee and sat on the couch.

Spencer and Jon walked in on him, looking at him expectantly. Spencer nodded behind his shoulder, probably to Ryan. Brendon rolled his eyes and he knew that they were expecting they got into a fight.

“What’d you do this time?” Spencer said. His voice was still sleepy.

“I didn’t do anything.” Brendon scoffed and shook his head before blowing on his cup of caffeine. “He’s crying,” he added, gulping down his drink.

Jon walked off to check on his friend. Ryan was lying on his bunk with the curtains closed. Jon jerked them open and his friend was on his side, scribbling harshly on his notebook. Pages and pages of notebook paper were scattered around his bed and under it. The only thing missing were the tears.

“Go the fuck away, Jon!”

So he did. He didn’t even bother to close the curtain. He’d never seen Ryan so angry before.

He walked back to Brendon and Spencer who were chatting quietly about the boy they left alone for a moment. Their voices were quiet and hushed and Jon rolled his eyes because he knew Ryan wouldn’t be listening.

He cleared his throat and his eyes shifted between the two. Brendon looked at him quizzically and Spencer waited for him to say something.

Jon sighed.

“Yep. He’s crying.”

Last edited by borrowed light, on Sun 11 Jan 2009, 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : checked: light.)
zero
zero
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1813

Back to top Go down

(c) He Doesn't Cry. (PG) Empty Re: (c) He Doesn't Cry. (PG)

Post by Sketch Thu 05 Feb 2009, 5:12 am

Really liked this.

I think the thing I like about it most is the narrative. It's rather simple, childlike almost, and yet it speaks volumes. I think the idea you may have been trying to get across, or this is what it feels like to me, is that his father didn't care when he cried that time, so something inside of him cut it off? The... ability, almost. He doesn't have the capacity of tears any more because the last time he did cry ended horribly.

The description of how it frustrated Brendon even more than Ryan was lovely. It really showed how much Brendon obviously cares for Ryan- I like that you didn't specify whether they were actually a couple or not. In my mind they were, but that's probably just because i'm used to slash. Either way, it was really sweet and gave me some hope for Ryan.

Jon doesn't seem to care about Ryan in the same way, definitely not. It seems like he initially feels concerned about Ryan because Brendon came out and told them he was crying, but after Ryan shouts at him he seems to lose interest. It's like he can only be bothered with Ryan up to a certain point.

I do get the feeling that that's how everyone close to Ryan feels by now- it seems as if they try to help Ryan or see how he is, but he just has childish screaming fits at them and keeps writing in his journal and won't let anyone in. Brendon comes closest, but he still isn't quite there.

This is a crappy comment, but your writing is brilliant. -loves- I'll be sure to check out more of your stuff some time.
Sketch
Sketch
New Recruit

Number of posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum