I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(c) Parallel Minds [PG-13]

3 posters

Go down

(c) Parallel Minds [PG-13] Empty (c) Parallel Minds [PG-13]

Post by THE BRIGHTSIDE. Wed 24 Sep 2008, 4:09 am

Title: Parallel Minds
Rating: PG-13 for swearing, possible adult themes.
Type: Chaptered/incomplete.
Genre(s): Adventure/suspense/teen/+ slight sci fi element
Summary: There's something wrong with Jack Jensen.

Welcome to your worst nightmare. It's your parallel mind.

---
Chapter 1 - The Velvet Sun That Shines

There was something different happening at my impossibly unexciting school. I knew it from the moment he walked in the biology lab door.

It wasn't like a scene from those stupid teen dramas. No soppy, string orchestra music as they drifted into the room in slow motion with an awkward breeze that appeared to be coming out of nowhere subtly lifting their gorgeous blonde locks. No hushed gasp as the comparingly boring people in the room looked at the new person in pure adoration. No, there was none of that.

He walked in the door like any other boring person at my school would. Broad shoulders hunched, pile of second-hand textbooks tucked under his right arm. Most of my class cast him a supposedly uninterested look, a few whispers here and there as they voiced their first impressions.

My school was so boring that really, we secretly feasted upon the arrival of new people.

He was just like anybody else.

You had to feel sorry for new people, really. The whole "let's-introduce-you-to-the-class-even-though-all-you-really-feel-like-doing-right-now-is-
sulking-away-in-the-back-corner-pretending-you-don't-exist" vibe that their teachers expressed openly upon the new kid's entrance into the classroom. You'd think teachers would be a little less stupid. Oh well. You couldn't blame them, really... anything to distract them from actually doing their job.

At least my biology teacher had some empathy hidden within the dark crevasses of her bitter and gloomy soul, beneath the pasty, loose skin that hung from her frail frame.

"You must be Jack." I suppose the false sound in my teacher's voice could be taken for graciousness, if you were naive enough to be that way inclined.

He had nodded shyly, giving a small yet obviously reluctant smile as he made his way to a spare seat next to James. James was the ultimate smart guy, the guy who the three dunces in the class liked to make fun of, or tell him to shut up because he didn't speak much. James was also the kind of guy who you knew would end up changing the world in some way.

Jack's seat happened to be the seat directly in front of mine. Somehow sitting in the back row made me feel calmer; I was able to see everything, and nobody except the teacher was able to see me. Being in the back also meant you could make observations about people you probably wouldn't notice - the way Conor's right shoulder would twitch when she wanted to answer a question, or the way Tom would roll his head on his neck when he was feeling extra bored and when he thought the time was right to crack his neck.

Or the way Jack's ears kind of stuck out to the side.

"What would you consider a first order consumer, Dakota?"

If there was one thing I hated, it was people having the nerve to use my full name. My stupid, cliche, horrific name. The name my parents had chosen to curse me with. I hated the name Dakota. It was Kotie. Not Kody, or Katie, and not Dakota. Kotie. People with half a brain and who had known me long enough to see the pain I liked to cause people knew I was Kotie.

I blabbed my way through an answer to the question my teacher had chosen to spring on me. It was enough to satisfy her dull needs enough for her to not dare bother me again. I instead went back to the mind-consuming task of carving my initials in the table desk's edge, taking extra care not to let my quickly-blunting scissors slip out of line.

The bell rung within another half hour, setting me free from the stuffy classroom.

And that was how Jack Jensen changed everything I'd ever known. For good.

checked; SP
THE BRIGHTSIDE.
THE BRIGHTSIDE.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 286

http://bjbrightside.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

(c) Parallel Minds [PG-13] Empty Re: (c) Parallel Minds [PG-13]

Post by gloria- Wed 24 Sep 2008, 4:20 am

-loves- liesie ily. this is great.
gloria-
gloria-
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 1860

http://tinkerbell.21.forumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by THE BRIGHTSIDE. Mon 12 Jan 2009, 4:15 pm

“And that’s why I reckon the world’s actually flat.” My friend broke off another piece of her muesli bar, happily popping it into her mouth. I shook my head, unable to think of something appropriate to respond with.

“They’re perfectly legitimate reasons, if you ask me,” she continued, scrunching up her muesli bar wrapper and moving on to eat her apple.

“But they’re not asking you, and with good reason,” I replied nonchalantly. I too took a bite of my apple, shaking my head again while trying to resist the temptation to smile contentedly. You couldn’t help but love a person like Amber. Her moods fluctuated to an unbelieveable extent, and she hated anything that might cause her to embarrass herself in front of the cool kids, but really, she was one of my favourite people on earth. “Aside from scientific and physical, foolproof facts that could easily cause your argument to backfire horribly, I agree. The world must be flat.”

My friend threw me a dirty look. “Anyway, how was double bio?” She didn’t wait for an answer. “Hey! I forgot to ask you. Did you hear about the new guy?”

I rolled my eyes. “Pur-lease, I saw the new guy.”

“You did?” Her excitement was almost ridiculous.

“Stop sounding so hopeful.”

“Did you talk to him?”

“To the new guy? Oh, yeah. He knew of my alter ego as a superhero as soon as he saw me, so as a result he stopped time for everyone except me and him, pulled out a gun and yelled ‘Die, bitch!’”

“No kidding.”

“He walked into the lab and sat down in front of me.”

“And?”

“And it was riveting.”

“You do realise that you’re the most impossible person on this godforsaken planet, don’t you?”

“It’s a title I’m both aware and proud of.” I glanced toward the open waste bin sitting a few metres away. Squinting one eye, I carefully aimed and threw the remains of my apple in its direction, unfortunately missing by a few feet.

“And with an aim like that, you could also run for World’s Best Basketballer.” Amber followed suit, making perfect aim and shooting her apple core straight into the bin. She turned to make sure I couldn’t miss her triumphant smile.

“Yeah, yeah, I get the point,” I muttered, heaving myself to an upright standing position and slowly making my way over to where my apple core now lay. “But that was just a fluke.” I picked up the piece of used fruit and carefully placed it into the bin, closing the lid afterwards.

I sat back down beside my friend, stretching out my school tight-covered legs across the perfectly manicured grass. Amber glanced at her fingernails. Still without looking up, she spoke. “Anyway, I heard that this new guy moved from Sydney ‘cause his mum’s a high profile lawyer.”

Well, that seemed logical. A high profile lawyer moving from a big bustling crime-ridden city to my town.

“That makes no sense.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Sure it is. Rachel told me.”

Yeah, and Rachel’s word was the word of gospel. Rachel was the kind of girl you wouldn’t go near with a ten-foot barge pole. Not only was she a complete idiot, but she was somebody who couldn’t string a sentence together without saying ‘like’ around three hundred times. There was no reason to trust her.

“Anyway,” she continued, “there’s no point being so miserable. He might be really nice?”

“Since when? You’re one of the most paranoid people I know. As if somebody would actually be nice—”

“Who are we talking about here?”

I scoffed, ignoring her question – which in all honesty probably wasn’t rhetorical – and instead lay myself back against the cool grass. The spring sunshine was just beginning to peek through the sky, despite it still being late winter; as much as I hated to admit it, the weather was actually kind of enjoyable. I had just begun to close my eyes when a recognizable voice disrupted my moment of peace.

“And so I thought, ‘Well screw you buddy, you can find somebody else to talk to.’” It was Evelyn, telling yet another work story. I was got the feeling that Evie was one of those people who never considered for a moment that she could possibly be boring; evidently she figured that because her tales from the pizzeria were incredibly fascinating to her, everybody else would enjoy them too. But in reality nobody had the heart to tell her. She just got so damn excited.

I brought myself back up to a sitting position. The rest of my friend group was now assembled in a circle with Amber and me, having just made their way over from the canteen.

“Here we go again…” It was Jillian who spoke. Jillian was the only one who felt okay making it even slightly obvious that Evelyn’s stories bored the shit out of her. The two were best friends, although as they grew older the differences between them became more pronounced. Evie was tall, stick-thin, relatively fair-haired and –skinned, with a strong love for all things girly; Jill was short and petite, with olive skin and dark hair that clearly emphasised her dad’s Asian heritage. I think they were growing apart – not that they’d ever openly admit it.

“I’m sure they’d like to hear it,” Evie said confidently, throwing her best friend an annoyed look. Just as she opened her mouth to speak, Jill interrupted her.

“So, anyway, have you guys heard that there’s a new guy at school—?”

I groaned loudly, throwing my hands against my face and slumping back against the ground.

“Sheesh, make your disdain well known why don’t you, Kotie?” Jill sounded almost offended.

“We’ve been through this topic before,” Amber explained quickly. “She’s just got post-holiday depression.”

The bell rang, and I slowly stood up. “Actually,” I said, throwing a handful of grass at my friend, “I just don’t give a shit about the new guy.”
THE BRIGHTSIDE.
THE BRIGHTSIDE.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 286

http://bjbrightside.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Mon 12 Jan 2009, 7:43 pm

I love this. -loves-
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 3690

http://ritaskellington.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gloria- Tue 13 Jan 2009, 1:30 am

i love how you australians write 'pur-lease' when we all write 'puh-lease' because you guys don't pronounce your r's.

lol@chu

whatnow? O_O
anyway, me likey.
gloria-
gloria-
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 1860

http://tinkerbell.21.forumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content