I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing Up

+12
the way
proust.
guilded sleuth
lyrical_mess
solo nubarron.
makoto kino.
Insurgentes
belle of the boulevard.
she had the world.
bittersweet.
gloria-
zero
16 posters

Go down

Growing Up Empty Growing Up

Post by zero Wed 01 Oct 2008, 7:25 pm

It's a shitty road.

Everybody grows up. No matter how many times you've read about the boy who never grew up, you're going to grow up. One day, someone's going to go up and tell you to grow up. Well. Maybe not literally, but it happens.

So how did you grow up?

I think I was seven or eight when I did... I think. All of a sudden, we had to move out of the country and I had no idea what the hell was happening. And it seemed like I lost my childhood. I had to stay home all day, no TV, no toys, no nothing. I wasn't allowed to go outside or anything. I had to take things seriously.

Discuss?
zero
zero
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1813

Back to top Go down

Growing Up Empty Re: Growing Up

Post by gloria- Thu 02 Oct 2008, 6:29 am

ten.

the father of my closest cousins died. they were living in sweden at the time. the funeral [may fourth, 2002] was the most painful thing i've ever seen, done, been part of, felt, etc. there was so much...hurt. my cousins and my aunt. i...think something inside me died then. everything's only gone downhill since then. i feel like i should have protected them. one of them is failing ninth grade and the other...the other is spending at least two years in a facility in montana. none of us get to go visit him. we send him letters. he can't send them back.

yeah. i'd say that's when i grew up.
gloria-
gloria-
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 1860

http://tinkerbell.21.forumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bittersweet. Thu 02 Oct 2008, 3:41 pm

Eleven.

I went to Australia with People to People, and I just had to take responsibility for myself and my actions. Some kids in my group were caught throwing coins at cars, and then were nearly brought to juvenile court. I just kind of thought, wow...we're so young, but they expect us to act like we're adults....
I had my first suicidal thought on that trip and afterwards, it was just when life started going downhill.

bittersweet.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 522

Back to top Go down

Post by she had the world. Thu 02 Oct 2008, 7:52 pm

Sixteen.

I went on exchange, and experience some amazing things. I was thrust into this world where I had to be independent, and even though I had my host families I had to be responsible for myself and it just forced me to grow up. The strongest emotions I have ever experienced in my life were on exchange, and the worst was the feeling of loneliness. In my opinion, that feeling of being lonely was so extreme and so painful, I never want to feel like that ever again. Just knowing that everything you knew and you understood, and the people you loved were thousands of miles away and you wouldn't see them for another twelve months. You couldn't feel their touch, they couldn't hug you.. all you had was a phone line which you cried over when you got the chance to speak, and sure their voice was comforting for a while.. but then it goes again and you're so so so alone.

In my first host family, I had such a terrible time that I would go to bed at 7pm nightly and cry myself to sleep. It forced me to learn a lot about myself, and taught me to respect everything I had at home that I didn't have on exchange. It changes your opinions and views of yourself and the world around you, and you learn to absorb things from different point of views and other angles. You become more open, and more accepting.

It changed me, and that was when I grew up.

I think everyone experiences things differently, and we all are forced to grow up eventually no matter what the situation is. I don't understand what some people have said above me, and how that would force someone to grow up. Like I understand Zero and how that would be a really hard thing to go through... I guess it's different for all of us.
she had the world.
she had the world.
Administrator.

Female
Number of posts : 509

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Thu 02 Oct 2008, 11:00 pm

twelve.

i had to grow up so much over the course of the summer holiday, and learn to shut up and get on with things.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1912

http://www.twitter.com/hellopolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Insurgentes Fri 03 Oct 2008, 2:32 am

Five.

My father left home around this time to be with another woman and since I had two underage siblings in addition to myself, my mother had to go straight to work to support us and never had the time for any of us. My siblings are both more than five years older than me, but only about three years apart, so they saw me as more of an obstruction than anything and wanted nothing to do with me, despite how badly I wanted to be a part of the pack, so to speak. I was cleaning my own room (including sweeping and mopping) at this age as well as heating up my own soup (using chairs to reach the cans and scooting said chairs to the stove.). I never had any friends or anything, so I spent most of my time by myself, reading to myself and teaching myself basic skills (reading, writing, math.) through video games (Old school NES ftw!) and whatever books I had lying around. I never played aside of one specific video game. I always worked.

I was observed much during school because I was so far ahead of the class. They wanted to skip me up a few grades and discovered I had the reading level of a sixth or seventh grader at just age five. I wanted to skip ahead, but I was not permitted to due to my mum. Things progressively got worse as time went on and I had my first suicidal thought at the age of seven. I remember it so vividly too. It terrifies me to think about it. My school work came to a crashing halt around this time and I was put on ritalin to compensate, but it only made me worse. School counselors began to observe me around this time and ever since, I had to see one regularly. The rest is history.

Insurgentes
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 415

http://serena-vox.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Fri 03 Oct 2008, 4:11 pm

^ I was 5 too, Serena.
It was when my mum left.
when she abandoned us on a strangers house and said she'll pick us up at 5.
She never came, so I, as a 5 year old, had to give directions back to my house, to find it surrounded by police cars.
I've had to look after my brother alot, and then my sisters when dad got remarried.
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by solo nubarron. Sun 19 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm

Twelve.

At this age, I taught myself to learn everything from cooking to sewing and all stages of livelihood all on my own.
I also found out how some people even the closest of friends can betray you, and who real friends truly are. I learned the difference between the right and the wrong, and for a whole year, I did the wrong. I also learned what I can forgive myself in and what I cannot. What my limitations were and what I had to stop myself in.

Although I don't believe one can grow up and not have any trace of kid left. I'm still a kid, and proud of it. I truly hate growing up. Growing up just seems like focusing on studies or a whole life devoted to friends and relationships. It disgusts me because I see that in a whole bunch of my friends. They don't seem like kids anymore, and I just appear as the most immature of them all. I'm proud of that title, though.
solo nubarron.
solo nubarron.
New Recruit

Male
Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post by lyrical_mess Sun 19 Oct 2008, 9:56 pm

I grew up around the ninth grade.

I moved across the world, left everyone and everthything I knew to go "back home". Leaving home for home? And if that wasn't enough, I learned that there is no perfect. That mom and dad don't know all the answers. And that death isn't some faraway nightmare for the unfortunate.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 519

Back to top Go down

Post by guilded sleuth Thu 13 Nov 2008, 5:29 pm

It was when I entered depression.
My dad had already left us.
My mum had a lot of vent up anger and hurt that she would often let out on my sister and me.
I didn't want anyone to see this new me who was consumed by depression and darkness.
I shut myself off from everyone.
I learned to live independently.
guilded sleuth
guilded sleuth
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 40

http://www.myspace.com/w00t_i_feel_like_tacos

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Tue 18 Nov 2008, 1:20 am

I don't think I've grown up yet. Maybe, I've grown old but I'm far from being mature or reliable or wise. I'm still this really silly child who knows absolutely nothing about the world or life or anything. Surely I've been an introvert all my life and I've taught myself and read about a, hmm satisfactory[?] amount of things, but on a universal scale, I know less than nothing. I don't want to do anything, I have no great plans or great ideas, I'm not worth of them yet, I'm just working on figuring out the little things in life.

I think I've lost my innocence somewhere in forth or fifth grade, but that's something different.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Mon 24 Nov 2008, 1:17 pm

I love being a kid.
It's wonderful.
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by the way Mon 15 Dec 2008, 12:40 am

kafka. wrote:I don't think I've grown up yet. Maybe, I've grown old but I'm far from being mature or reliable or wise. I'm still this really silly child who knows absolutely nothing about the world or life or anything. Surely I've been an introvert all my life and I've taught myself and read about a, hmm satisfactory[?] amount of things, but on a universal scale, I know less than nothing. I don't want to do anything, I have no great plans or great ideas, I'm not worth of them yet, I'm just working on figuring out the little things in life.

I think I've lost my innocence somewhere in forth or fifth grade, but that's something different.

I agree.
I've lost my innocence a long time ago, but I didn't really grow up until about six months ago this year. Although I thought I did, a lot of times before that.
the way
the way
Red Scare

Male
Number of posts : 530

http://www.twitter.com/shindiggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Fri 02 Jan 2009, 9:40 am

I figure, I haven't "grown up" until I can sustain on my own in the world. I understand a lot of you had to do this long before some of us have.

I'm pretty sure this trip to Morocco will change that though, especially since we're staying with basically strangers and we're supposed to be speaking French while there.
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 3690

http://ritaskellington.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Fri 02 Jan 2009, 10:38 am

I haven't 'grown up' and I hope I never do.

I mean, I've had to mature. I've lasted more things in the past four years alone than a lot of people do ina lifetime.

But I think this has made me realise exactly how unwilling I am to actually grow up.

I never got a chance to be a kid when I was a kid, because I was bullied to the point where we had ample material to take out a restraining order on the guy. Basically, he was legaly close to being classified as stalking me.

According to what my psych thinks (and I trust her third on my list, right under my girlfriend and my cat) I've probably been clinically depressed since around nine, and even before that I still never got to really be a kid, because I was the 'outcast' as I had to wear an eyepatch. It was the closest to a 'freak' my school had.

Its made me want to have fun now. And I actually am for the first time in my life. Sure, some of the stuff I do is stupid, some is illegal, some is dangerous, and most is a combination of all three - but I've tried pot twice, smoked for all of three months and I barely even drink any more, and thats it.

I'd rather be having good, clean, sober (if mildly dangerous) fun than drink. I think to live like that you actually need to have more maturity than you'd expect from the average teenager. I've had ample opportunity to try harder drugs than pot, or to do it again, to binge drink, to party, but generally these days I keep myself tipsy at most and find myself looking after other partygoers.

But I mean, you dont have to be a grown up to be mature and to be mature sometimes you dont have to be mature all the time.

There's a difference between growing old and growing up - its a cliche but its true. And I never ever want to grow up.

Last edited by testosterone boy on Thu 08 Jan 2009, 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Sat 03 Jan 2009, 6:14 am

i'm terrified of becoming mature, but the fact is that because of what's happened to me with losing my dad and what i've had to cope with as a result of it, i'm better equipped to handle situations than most peers, which causes filthy arguments because they simply don't understand.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1912

http://www.twitter.com/hellopolly

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Sun 04 Jan 2009, 12:47 am

sixth grade.

I learned that people can leave. even the closest friend, your only friend.
I learned that people can't be trusted. I grew up from fantasies of good friendships that will last.
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 931

http://rolomflurry.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drackie. Thu 08 Jan 2009, 8:28 pm

I changed, is probably the closest at thirteen. I realized something about myself, that barely any people have to go through.
And it made me realize, to be happy with who I am.
I have to give up everything and change everything about my life.
But I couldn't.
So I'm stuck living as the person I don't want to be.
drackie.
drackie.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 686

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down