I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prejudice

+5
the lover.
bittersweet.
makoto kino.
gloria-
proust.
9 posters

Go down

Prejudice Empty Prejudice

Post by proust. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 2:06 am

prej·u·dice /ˈprɛdʒədɪs/ [prej-uh-dis]
–noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

you have pleased him

Now that we've found out what exactly prejudice means, state at least one of your prejudices say how and why you managed to acquire it and discuss.

My biggest prejudice is, or at least was for a good while, anti-Americanism.
I know finding excuses for my mistakes is wrong, but I live in a part of the world that's not so American-friendly. Rather, too American-friendly because we're hoping, dreaming and wishing of befriending with the US. And it annoys us when the US doesn't befriend with us and we get annoyed. The whole international context doesn't really help either.
European culture -and particularly Romanian culture, it's hard to understand for a foreigner how the ''I'm so smart, so cultivated, so intelligent'' spirit is a national trail, it dates back to early 1900 but it's too boring to elaborate- is different from American culture, but we're all shallow. Europeans just have really old monuments to hold onto and just tradition.

I still don't agree with the US foreign affairs policy and generally things that have to do with politics and economics. I'll grow up and learn to become more tolerant soon enough, though. I promise. I don't think Americans are to blame for the death of world culture and civilization anymore and that's a huge progress.

Now, it's your turn.
I hope this won't be all too boring.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Prejudice Empty Re: Prejudice

Post by gloria- Thu 09 Oct 2008, 2:11 am

i'm prejudiced in that i believe that canadians are incredibly arrogant about their country/patriotism.

of course, i'm american and get a whole lot of anti-american emotion in my high school. it pisses me off because every canadian seems to think they're better than every american.
once, i had a girl say to me, "i thought all americans were supposed to be stupid."
really?
i believe my prejudice is true, in general. there are, obviously, people who on their own are perfectly fine, but in a group, they hate americans too.
gloria-
gloria-
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 1860

http://tinkerbell.21.forumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 6:24 am

Uh, I don't think I ever really get predjudice.

C do you mind me asking where you live?
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:04 am

les amoureux. wrote:Uh, I don't think I ever really get predjudice.

C do you mind me asking where you live?
Oh, of course not.
Romania, the north-western part who was also Hungarian and German.
We're also rather francophile, at least our intellectuals claim to be, so every other cheap intellectual is anti-American. -sigh- There are many reasons why we should be anti-American, really, but it doesn't change the fact that prejudice is just stupid.

And it's Andy. lol@chu
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 3:34 pm

Ah Andy.
The Andy Ash was telling me about?!

I just called you C. coz thats your username -shrugs-

idk, its weird, all the "anti" stuff, Anti Americanism.
I think that countries should just let go of their pride and realise that regardless of what they think we ~are ultimately equals.

Excuse my lack of ~eloquence in the matter, its late and my words aren't worknig too great :/
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by bittersweet. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 3:42 pm

I dunno...for quite a while, I was anti-gay and anti-Democrats. My parents raised me that way. -shrug-
But thankfully, I'm basically over it.

I also have a kind of school spirit prejudice. I tend to dislike anyone who's in pep club or participates in the rallies...it came with being lumped into the emo group.

Can we also talk about prejudices that people have against us? For instance, I'm American, so I've got anti-Americans against me?

bittersweet.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 522

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 7:06 pm

les amoureux. wrote:Ah Andy.
The Andy Ash was telling me about?!

I just called you C. coz thats your username -shrugs-
I think I am that Andy.
lol@chu
And it's okay, anyway.

Yes, of course, anything that has to do with prejudice.

I guess prejudice regarding religion - including homophobia- hurts me the most.
But I'm trying to talk people out of it. In the end, that is the solution, talking, explaining, in a peaceful diplomatic manner rather than debating. We're all humans, our hearts beat the same.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by the lover. Sat 11 Oct 2008, 12:49 pm

fraudulent zodiac. wrote:i'm prejudiced in that i believe that canadians are incredibly arrogant about their country/patriotism.

of course, i'm american and get a whole lot of anti-american emotion in my high school. it pisses me off because every canadian seems to think they're better than every american.
once, i had a girl say to me, "i thought all americans were supposed to be stupid."
really?
i believe my prejudice is true, in general. there are, obviously, people who on their own are perfectly fine, but in a group, they hate americans too.

I consider myself British/Canadian/American (I've got all three citizenships) and I don't, and never have, hated anyone because of their nationality or race. whatnow? O_O And I don't know any Canadians who hate Americans as a whole. If I hated someone, it would be down to their personality, things they'd said or done rather than their nationality. Although I know a lot of British people who don't like Americans. But it's nothing personal because they tend not to like anyone outside of their own family. >_> They're just generally unsociable.
the lover.
the lover.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 661

http://kaydoubleyou.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bittersweet. Sat 11 Oct 2008, 10:17 pm

I've dealt with a fair amount of prejudice. Most of it is stupid stuff, though. I've met a few anti-Americans online who won't talk to me anymore. I've got some people at school who hate me because I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.
-shrug-

I think the most serious thing that people have against me is my religion. Everyone assumes that because I'm a practicing Christian, I'm a homo-hater and stuff like that...which couldn't be farther from the truth. But I can't tell you how many friends I've lost because of it.

bittersweet.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 522

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartswell. Sun 12 Oct 2008, 4:27 pm

I never really faced prejudice. My best friend did because she is Shii.
Here they judge you based on where you're originally from; for instance, they -most Kuwaitis- really can't stand Iraqis >_> cause of the whole invasion thing in 1990. you have pleased him
Heartswell.
Heartswell.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 637

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice in Wonderland. Tue 21 Oct 2008, 2:05 am

I'm somewhat prejudiced against conservatives.
I hate their beliefs, I hate what they stand for, I don't agree with anything they agree with.

I'm damn prejudiced against stupid people.
I think they should all go live on an island and be stupid together.

And I'm also prejudiced against rednecks.
I grew up around them for way too long. And I'm talking about a full-on redneck. Racist bastards that think they're sooooo American with their huge fucking truck and thinking that going to church will get them saved with their drinking a six pack and talking about how fine women's asses are and shooting animals. Fuck. That.
Alice in Wonderland.
Alice in Wonderland.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 329

http://myspace.com/goaskdruscilla

Back to top Go down

Post by the no more hero. Sat 25 Oct 2008, 7:58 am

Gianna wrote:
I think the most serious thing that people have against me is my religion. Everyone assumes that because I'm a practicing Christian, I'm a homo-hater and stuff like that...which couldn't be farther from the truth. But I can't tell you how many friends I've lost because of it.

The same here.

I have a prejudice against gangsta and goth kids. I'm not prejudice towards all of them but I do tend to wrongly group them. The type of goth kids I hate are the 'I'm better than everybody else because I'm such a non-comformist and dress dark and different and I'm so misunderstood.' But really the few kids that dress gothic at my school don't really act like that, sans a few and three of the goth kids that are like that were actually arrested today for setting a fire at the school so that only fueled my prejudice. The type of gangsta kids, and no it's not a race thing, that annoy me are the ones that act like just because they do drugs, drink, steal, stuff, have sex with somebody different every night, and totally disrespect everybody around them they're so hardcore. And while it's not only the gangsta kids that think and act like that, at least at my school, they seem to enjoy to talk about it constantly and as loud as possible more than anybody else I've been around.

Also I'm prejudice against athiests. Mainly because the athiests I have encountered always act like they know it all and that anybody who believe in a religion is childish and idiotic. And when a lot of them bash religion they're mainly bashing Christianity and/or Catholism and totally ignoring any other religions.

the no more hero.
the no more hero.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by Who we are. Fri 27 Feb 2009, 4:09 pm

[quote="dante."]
Gianna wrote:
Also I'm prejudice against athiests. Mainly because the athiests I have encountered always act like they know it all and that anybody who believe in a religion is childish and idiotic. And when a lot of them bash religion they're mainly bashing Christianity and/or Catholism and totally ignoring any other religions.
[/size]

Were all not like that. Im an Athiest, but the person i love most is a practicing christian.
I like discussing his religion with him, finding out more about it or even just debating it. If i dont belive something he says i'll ask why he does? and what he likes about the religion and stuff. That way im educated in the matter and dont get prejudic about it.
I like to know everything about everyone/everything. I try not to discrimminate.
=D Just who i am.

The only people i am prejudic about is gangsters, i assume most of them are man whores who take/deal drugs, steal, kill e.c.t...
But i know thier not all like that. Im just a bit like off, on making friends with a group of them with all thier jeans hanging off thier ankles.
Who we are.
Who we are.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1169

http://whowearre.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: