I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(c) Evaporate (PG-13)

Go down

(c) Evaporate (PG-13) Empty (c) Evaporate (PG-13)

Post by .I'm Not Afraid. Wed 22 Oct 2008, 6:25 am

Title: Evaporate
Rating: PG-13 For violent themes and harsh language
Author:.I'm Not Afraid.
Summary/Excerpt: "Wishes are just empty prayers, waiting to be filled with something more. But the trouble is... No one knows what to fill it with."
Warnings: Mild Violence, Mild Language, Some Drug References

Prologue

It’s all in the little things. Life exists because of the little things. It was exactly those things that I happened to ignore on the morning it happened. Things like a note, an extra hug, an empty locker just skimmed the surface of my mind. They might’ve screamed, “Notice me!” at the top of their lungs, but I didn’t take the time out of my morning to pay attention.

Maybe if I had stopped, things would be different now. In fact, I’m almost sure of it. Things would different, they’d be just as difficult, but it’d be easier to get through. But no, I had to be moving too fast, too sucked into the undertow of an average teenage life. The idea of breaking away from it for even a moment seemed suicidal, at the time.

Suicidal… Hardly.

Looking back on it now, all the signs were so obvious, all of them written in bright red, plastered all over everything she’d ever touched. It was telling me to pay attention, to stop everything from diving under, but I ignored it. And now, we’re all paying for it.

Last edited by borrowed light. on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : checked: light.)
.I'm Not Afraid.
.I'm Not Afraid.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 91

Back to top Go down

(c) Evaporate (PG-13) Empty Re: (c) Evaporate (PG-13)

Post by .I'm Not Afraid. Thu 23 Oct 2008, 2:20 am

Greg

“I never really thought much about it, I mean, hey, who really does? But I mean when it happened it just kind of- Bam! Hit me dead on, literally…” Matt pointed to his eyes with a chuckle as he continued rambling on about how he got the magnificent shiner under his left eye. I nodded my head slowly, pretending that I was actually paying attention. That’s what I did whenever this kid opened his mouth.

He went on for a while, even though the actual story had ended. The lines of his speech went in one ear and clear out the other, leaving a few empty words taking up space in my head. I never liked Matt much, but he never got the picture when you told him to go away, kind of like mosquitoes. They just keep buzzing around you trying to suck your blood and no matter how much you swat at them they keep coming back. The only difference is that Matt doesn’t want to suck my blood… That I know of.

I slammed my locker shut with extra muscle just to see if the loud bang would make him notice how annoyed I was with him.

Nothing, not even a flinch.

Maybe if I start walking away…

No, that doesn’t do it either.

Man, how am I supposed to shake this kid?

“So, Greg, I feel like I’ve been doing all the talking,” Matt commented as I turned a corner, now entering C Wing.

“Oh, really? I haven’t been getting that…”

“What’s up with you, then? How’s life?”

I stopped at the edge of a strip of lockers and looked at him straight in the eye. I conjured up the meanest look I could give him and spoke in a low monotone voice, “Life is annoying.”

“Aw, why?”

It was obvious in his tone that he wasn’t concerned at all. That he just asked to keep conversation rolling along, or so it could seem to passersby that he actually has a friend.

Ugh, I’m so mean, sometimes.

“Because it won’t leave me alone.”

I rolled my eyes and walked away, relieved to feel that I didn’t hear his footsteps following me. I’m not gonna lie, I feel kind of bad for the guy, but seriously, he’s got to learn when to stop.

I passed by several familiar faces on my walk through C Wing, but I kept my eyes down so they wouldn’t start walking with me. I’m sure some of them would bug me about it later, especially since one of them shouted my name and stopped right in the middle of the hall, expecting me to stop. But I didn’t.

It’s not that I didn’t feel like talking to my friends, I just didn’t feel like talking to those friends. I’ve been weird like that lately; I don’t know how to explain it. It’s not like a depression thing where I suddenly lose interest in all human contact; it’s actually quite the opposite. I’ve been pretty happy lately, just average teenage stuff, nothing too out of the ordinary.

Maybe High School isn’t really as bad as everyone makes it out to be…

My journey through C Wing continued as I passed by the back stairs, I’d never noticed before but when you pass by those windows you can see a perfect picture of the sun just as it’s rising… I wanted to stop and look, but I couldn’t. What if the people I just shrugged off came looking for me? I’d be like a sitting target, so I kept moving.

The locker bay to my left was jam packed with students. They were overflowing into the hallway, causing a slight traffic jam. That’s when I noticed another familiar face, kneeling down at her locker, struggling to open it.

I pushed my way through, slowly making my way over to her locker. I knelt down beside her and tapped her gently on the shoulder.

“Greg!” She said with a jump. “Hi.”

“Hey, Katie. Need help?”

“Naw,” she said pulling her locker open with a small smile. “See?”

“Very nice,” I said with a little chuckle.

I looked into her locker and saw three textbooks, one folder, and a book bag hanging on the back hook. She grabbed the folder and flung the bag over her shoulder. With a slam the locker shut and we went walking down the hallway.

I glanced over at her for a second, noticing her eyes staring straight down at the floor, her eyes following each of her footsteps. I don’t know if she even noticed that I was looking at her.

“You’re quiet,” I told her. “What’s wrong?”

Katie looked up at me, a bit confused. Her wide eyes stared directly into mine, as if she was looking for something, or waiting for something to happen. Then she blinked, and went back down to gazing at the tile floor passing beneath her. Her mouth cracked into a tiny smile as she began talking.

“Oh, it’s nothing important.”

I didn’t say anything at first. I just thought about what she had just said: “It’s nothing important.” That just doesn’t sound like Katie. Well, maybe she just doesn’t want to talk about it, I wouldn’t want to pry.

“If you’re sure,” I said with a shrug.

But I still don’t believe you, I thought to myself. Come on, Katie, what is it?

The argument of whether or not I should actually say that to her kept bouncing back and forth inside my head. Say it. Don’t say it. Say it. Don’t say it. I over analyzed every possible scenario, every possible reaction that might happen, and I figured it’d be better to actually say it than not. Something might really be wrong.

“But I still don’t-”

“Gregory Allen!”

And just like that I was turned a one-eighty with three different people walking in the complete opposite direction of Katie. I looked over my shoulder as my other friends dragged me away; they kept a tight grasp on my arms so I couldn’t break away from them. Katie had kept walking, as if she didn’t even notice that I wasn’t walking with her anymore.

“Why would you just ignore us like that?”

“Don’t you love us anymore?”

I looked directly at them, one by one. For a single moment I thought about breaking away, but I wouldn’t want to make them any angrier than they already are. Then, with a sigh I responded.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to ignore you… I got distracted.”

They giggled and jumped around me and then started whining about how I didn’t say that I still loved them. I forced a laugh and a smile.

“I still love you, too.”
.I'm Not Afraid.
.I'm Not Afraid.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum