I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight Club

5 posters

Go down

Fight Club Empty Fight Club

Post by street spirit (fade out). Wed 21 Jan 2009, 6:49 pm

"Fight Club is a 1996 novel by Chuck Palahniuk. The book follows the experiences of an anonymous protagonist who is struggling with his way of life, and with changes in American pop culture masculinity. To overcome this, he establishes an underground fighting club as radical psychotherapy."

There was a movie adaptation that came out in 1999, starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.

I haven't seen the movie but I just finished reading the book yesterday, and it opened my eyes.

Is the film adaptation better than the book? Favorite parts? Thoughts?

Discuss.
street spirit (fade out).
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1671

http://offkeymelodies.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Fight Club Empty Re: Fight Club

Post by proust. Thu 22 Jan 2009, 1:08 am

I read the book last summer, in less than a day. I still haven't seen the movie, I image it's bloody, and violent, and yeah. I don't like Brad Pitt. -shrug- And I liked how the novel misleads you up until one point and then you start to realize that Tyler and the narrator are the same person. It's different with the movie because in a movie you want to see the main characters, not just hear them tell a story.

My favorite bit about the story is the fact that they're making high-quality soap. At first it bugged me because it seemed so random, but then it just fit.
And the descriptions of insomnia bits when it comes to writing styles.

I should re-read it one of these days. I wasn't very impressed by it at first, but after I wished it and talked about it I slowly realized I liked it more than I thought I did.

In what way did it open your eyes?
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by street spirit (fade out). Thu 22 Jan 2009, 1:18 am

Yeah. I spoiled it for myself by trying to understand it online... >_>

I want to re-read it, though. I did like the fact that it misleads you, but it does have certain "clues", like when the boss finds the notes in the office and stuff. The insomnia bits were pretty cool, and the ending really opened my eyes because only then do you realize that it all fits together.

The book seems like a mystery of its own, which is really cool. I also imagine it's bloody and violent, considering how things go down in the club and stuff... I'm not too sure I would want to see it.
Leading by Example

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Sat 24 Jan 2009, 12:20 am

Dunno, I love the style of the book- the second person perspective and the repetitions. I don't think a movie could do that. Have you read any of Palahniuk's other books? I want to, but I'm a bit afraid they won't be as good as Fight Club, and I'll just be disappointed.

I just now realized that about the boss finding the notes. Of course. -facepalm-
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by more adventurous. Sat 24 Jan 2009, 12:38 am

kafka. wrote:Dunno, I love the style of the book- the second person perspective and the repetitions. I don't think a movie could do that. Have you read any of Palahniuk's other books? I want to, but I'm a bit afraid they won't be as good as Fight Club, and I'll just be disappointed.

I just now realized that about the boss finding the notes. Of course. -facepalm-
I've read about five or six of Palahniuk's books. Tbh, I thought Fight Club and Invisible Monsters were the best. They're both two of the most amazing books I've ever read. I can't decide which I prefer. They're amazing.

His other books are good, too, but I didn't like them as much. They're all crazy.
If I had to recommend one, it would definitely be Invisible Monsters.
more adventurous.
more adventurous.
Administrator.

Female
Number of posts : 4753

http://libbeyinreallife.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by street spirit (fade out). Sat 24 Jan 2009, 1:05 am

I want to read that, but the only other book I've read is Choke.

I might check out the movie, though.
Leading by Example

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanSmith Thu 05 Feb 2009, 6:40 am

I really need to read this book.
SeanSmith
SeanSmith
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by street spirit (fade out). Wed 11 Feb 2009, 2:55 pm

It's really, really good.
Leading by Example

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by we are invincible. Wed 13 May 2009, 3:00 pm

it's like insane good. I wasn't at all disappointed by the film, I actually thought it portrayed the novel quite well.
we are invincible.
we are invincible.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1272

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down