I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polaroid365

Go down

Polaroid365 Empty Polaroid365

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Mon 12 Oct 2009, 3:53 pm

So forever, I've wanted to do something for charity. Last year we didn't have christmas, and instead we donated the money to world vision and bought livestock for an orphanage in Africa. In year 9 we raised over $300, went to bali, and bought food, supplies and heaps of clothing we'd collected here to the kids in an orphanage there. As soon as I get my blood test results back (and providing I'm healthy enough to do so) I'm donating blood.

But I've been looking for ages for a charity to donate to that really represents how I feel. I've thought of queer rights organisations, and eating disorder foundations especially, after my issues with that. But I never knew how. Anyway - I've finally got it. And I know it's been done before, but never quite like this.

I've decided I'm going to get people to sponsor me to take a polaroid photograph every day for a year. I'd HAVE to have help, because the film is around $2 a shot since they've stopped making it. And once I'm done, I'll auction them all off, and donate the proceeds to a foundation for the blind. Think about it - even if each shot only sold for $20, that's around $7300. that's huge. and anyone who wouldn't pay $20 for a photograph for charity to support blind kids is a stingy bastard.

THe reasoning behind it is this - photography is something I love, and it's a big part of who I am. even before I got a ~fancy~ camera, I took photos all the time. It's not about the equipment you own, it's about what you want to show to people. And I think it's so, so sad that people cant have the opportunity to experience this.

With this project, I wouldn't be documenting my own life - rather, trying to find the same beauty in every day as someone who had previously been unable to see. Imagine what colours would look like for the first time. Imagine animals, children. Imagine being able to look people in the eyes for the first time in your life. Imagine the first smile you saw. The first tears. That's what I want to show people. i want to show them just how beautiful and special sight is, and just why these people deserve to have it.

So, I need your help. I'm not going to ask you to contribute money (though it'd be great, of course) but I want ideas. how can I raise the $730ish it'll take to buy all that film? how can I promote this?

I am absolutely determined to do this. I want to make a difference in the world, and hopefully, I won't just make a difference to the people the money goes to help - I'll make a difference to people who are involved; people who witness it. I want to give people a new perspective, because that's what I think photography is about. I think it's about showing people what YOU think is beautiful, what YOU think is special, so hopefully they can discover something new and amazing.

So, what do you think? Do you think I can pull it off? Will you help me?

At the moment I figure I'm going to call it Polaroid365, unless I can come up with something better.

So, contribute. GO!
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down