I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(c) Two Brothers

Go down

(c) Two Brothers Empty (c) Two Brothers

Post by tony stark Sun 14 Sep 2008, 1:35 am

When I was eleven, I read many fantasy books, which inspired me to try my hands at writing a series. The result was The Chronicles of Merrek. Until now, only a brief, rushed, first draft of the third or fourth chronicle was shared. Recently, I found the older ones, including the final draft of the first tale, I’m looking to improve it, change it, make it more adult. I put an awful lot of effort into this, it took me weeks to complete, yet still it’s only brief in comparison to what I wanted it to be.

Two Brothers is obviously about two siblings; one older one younger. It is a tale of how mistakes destroy people and misunderstanding changes them. I can’t say much more without ruining the story. So all I can say is, enjoy.
Rating: PG-13 [subject to change, I'm unsure how graphic the later chapters are]

Beta'd by Sheepy

Chapter One: Departure

Nestled safely between the lush green hills of the Lupas Valley lay the farming hamlet which possessed no name. It was dawn; the sky was turning pink and orange in the near distance. The stars were retiring until the next night, simply fading in the first feeble rays of the sun. It was a breathtaking sight and only one young man and the herdsmen were experiencing it.

Quietly, Dorrien closed the door behind him, taking extreme care not to wake his younger brother Jaddo. His large brown eyes watered and he felt a guilty sob catch in his throat, yet he would not weep. It was his fault it had come to this. He’d failed his brother and his long-dead mother.

Roughly seven years prior to his departure Dorrien and the infant, Jaddo, had been clutching their dying mother. Dorrien had been the only one to weep that day as his mother had already accepted the Reaper was going to sweep her away at any given moment. Jaddo knew something was wrong but he was too young and innocent to comprehend any of it. Their mother had smiled sadly at her eldest son and had told him not to mourn for her, to be strong and take good care of her babe. He’d told her she could take care of him herself. He didn’t want her to die, he couldn’t accept it, but he promised regardless.

“I’m sorry Mama,” he whispered, his eyes on the fading heavens. “I’ve failed you, I’ve failed Jaddo. I will fix things, I swear, but we need more money. I put myself before him and spent as much of my wage as I could on ale… I’m sorry Mama…” He was ashamed of himself. The way he’d behaved in recent times was disgraceful in the eyes of his neighbours. He’d succumbed to his Demons, tried to numb his bad feelings with ale. Yet when he sobered up he always wanted more.

Without thinking again Dorrien’s feet lead him slowly to the river, his tatty old boots covered in dust from the trip up the dusty lane. Miserably he knelt by the river bank. Slowly, he leant over the surface of the cool, clear water. The water was fairly calm, yet not calm enough to study oneself in. Dorrien cupped his hands and lowered them into the stream and allowed them to fill with water. He bought them up to his face and drank deeply. The water tasted refreshingly sweet. It was delicious. It cooled his dry mouth and watered his throat. He drank deeply several more times before wetting his warm face.

Sighing, Dorrien pushed himself to his feet and looked around at the familiar landscape which he feared he may never see again. The seven cottages of various sizes and the land the farmers used to grow their crops and reared their cattle on. The two great, lush green hills which hugged the hamlet as if it were a baby nestled in between its mother’s breasts. Lastly, he fleetingly glanced at the forest to the south. In one of its vast clearings lay his mother. Dorrien silently wished he had the time to visit her once again.

Slowly, Dorrien looked at the river and took the first step towards his new life.

checked. chester.
tony stark
tony stark
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down