I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion.

+30
Patient X
sirjama
Olympia's theme song.
Mr. Benzedrine
david c
house m.d.
more adventurous.
guilded sleuth
.I'm Not Afraid.
solo nubarron.
lyrical_mess
Laceration Adrisole.
makoto kino.
P R I N C E S S
she had the world.
gloria-
belle of the boulevard.
sullen riot.
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
tony stark
zero
the way
proust.
the takedown.
rock and/or roll
Heartswell.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
bittersweet.
Alice in Wonderland.
34 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Religion. Empty Religion.

Post by Alice in Wonderland. Tue 16 Sep 2008, 10:38 am

What religion are you?
Do you study religion?
Does religion scare you?
Can you tolerate other religions?
Do you accept other religions?

---

I'm a Christian, but I don't practice.

Religious fanatics piss me off, but the only religion that scares me is Satanism. I know it's stupid because they don't worship Satan, but I was always taught Satan was terrible (and I believe it), so a religion with that in the title scares me.

I believe that other religions are right as well as my own, particularly with my view on the afterlife. I believe good people get whatever afterlife they believe in and that bad people are reincarnated and their sins are put back onto them.
Alice in Wonderland.
Alice in Wonderland.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 329

http://myspace.com/goaskdruscilla

Back to top Go down

Religion. Empty Re: Religion.

Post by bittersweet. Wed 17 Sep 2008, 2:13 am

I'm what might be considered a 'radical' or a 'religious fanatic'.

I'm Christian, Protestant. I'm non-denominational past that.

I study it as much as possible, and also read up on other things, but not to practice.

Quite a few smaller and some bigger religions scare me. Satanism scares me, a lot because most people get the wrong facts about it. Things like Wicca scare me. A lot of stuff that can cause harm to the practicer scares me.

I tolerate other religions, as in I won't go around damning them to hell and killing them and telling them they're bad people.
Accept...? I don't know. I try to convert people, and I believe that only Christians are saved. No, I don't think that's elitist or anything.

I might get flamed for this, but it's what I believe. -shrug-

bittersweet.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 522

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Wed 17 Sep 2008, 7:49 pm

I'm leaning toward the athiest side of agnosticism, but I think many religions can be really beautiful.

To be honest, I dont take satanists too seriously. I mean, people have a right to believe what they want to believe, but all the 'wiccan' teenaged goth girls with pentagram necklaces just... put me off :/

I seriously considered converting to islam a while back. Its a beautiful, amazing religion, and it takes a lot to have that sort of commitment to your faith.

But, to be honest, I cannot stand people trying to 'convert' me.

I've got heavy backgrounds in christianity, catholicism and, judaism and strict mormonism. I've seriously considered my options, and I dont think anyone has any right to tell me what I should believe.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartswell. Wed 17 Sep 2008, 9:04 pm

I'm a sunni muslim but I'm identifiying myself as an agnostic these days; not because that I don't like my religion or anything but it's really because of personal beliefs and thoughts. I just question a lot.

I practice religion through wearing my headscarf [it's kind of a commitment but it's really doesn't mean that every girl who wears one is religious] but I don't really pray except in Ramadan [Fasting month, ironically this month] because I'm lazy and I know I'll eventually end up in hell gtfo over yourself, But seriously I don't really practice it much, except the no drinking/drugs/sex thing. So I'm pretty much straight-edge really gtfo over yourself,
I don't really study religion now; I did for twelve years [since the first grade until the end of highschool]. We're taught the rules and how to pray since we're kids but once we're at highschool we go into specifics because we can actually understand them.

Well, I don't really need to tell you what the world thinks of Islam now which usually pisses me off gtfo over yourself, Because of one rotten apple, the whole tree is rotten? Makes sense you dont matter.
Like honestly, I hate extremists with a passion. And I hate preachers who all like 'do as I say not as I do' and I know quite a few gtfo over yourself, and the thing with sunnis and shiis is stupid >_> like we're all muslims, why fight? My best friend for 12 years is shii and she's alright with me being a sunni >_>

Religions doesn't scare me exactly, same with the others. I don't mind and lean towards accepting and respecting other religions because if it's hate hate hate, what will the world end to?
We're all human otherwise >_> no matter what we believe in.
Also, if I don't respect other people's beliefs how can I except them to respect mine?

And honestly? I don't think I'd convert to another religion even though I'm not happy with where I am now.
But I really won't force my beliefs on another person, everyone has their right to believe what makes them happy and satisfied.
Heartswell.
Heartswell.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 637

Back to top Go down

Post by rock and/or roll Thu 18 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

I'd say I'm Christian, though not practicing.
I've been baptized, done my Reconciliation, Holy Communion and Confirmation as has my older sister. As far as I've been told, my dad's Catholic and my mum's Anglican (she refers to it as Church of England).

We rarely go to church anymore; though sometimes we do for Christmas and Easter.

People who try to convert others annoy me. Everyone has their own personal beliefs with regards to religion.

I don't think I could convert to another religion, because I've been brought up with Christianity and the beliefs that Christians have.
rock and/or roll
rock and/or roll
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 860

Back to top Go down

Post by the takedown. Thu 18 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

I'm a born-again christian, but I eventually stopped believing because of huge things happening to people I love, and as soon as I stopped, these things stopped, so I don't blame god for doing it, but he certainly wasn't helping.
the takedown.
the takedown.
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 1907

http://www.iamrevolution.net

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Thu 18 Sep 2008, 6:17 pm

In the days when I decide that I deserve a God to believe in, I'm an open-minded Christian Orthodox. Yes I study religion in school, I've been taking classes on Orthodoxy since grade 1 and it's safe to say that I was one of the few people who actually paid attention to them. I've learned mostly history, but also things that would be a lot like ethics and philosophy, a lot about the Christian dogma, holidays, Christian art, and small bits about other religions. Last year, an author sparked my interest in history of religions -Mircea Eliade, he's really awesome- and connections between religion and philosophy -not to say religious philosophy, I like to keep the two separated- and this year I'm going hardcore into old religious writings for literature (I've also managed to fall in love with Islamism through Ottoman miniature and Arabian Nights, and I'm really eagger to know more about that). I've also read books about religion and talked with my very-awesome religion teacher. I'm opened to all religions and I want to know as much as possible about them.

I think we're all worshiping the same God under different names and in different manners so I'm completely tolerant about other religions. I'm not tolerant to stupidity and fanatism though.

Religious youth organizations scare me. Quite a lot actually.

And I dislike it when people make up beliefs. I can't quite understand that.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by bittersweet. Fri 19 Sep 2008, 1:59 am

steppenwolf. wrote:Religious youth organizations scare me. Quite a lot actually.

I don't really understand what you mean. Do you mean youth groups, with teenagers? Or things like brainwashing toddlers to think a certain religion is right? If it's the former, why does it scare you?
[Open-ended question fest. O_O]

bittersweet.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 522

Back to top Go down

Post by the way Fri 19 Sep 2008, 9:32 am

I was raised Catholic when I was a kid, then we converted to Born-again Christianity. I went to church and practiced under that for a while, but being a teenager does something to you. All the chemical imbalances in your brain causing all the doubt and drama to happen, and I became non-denominational along the way. I still go to church, and sing the songs, but I don't agree with some of the beliefs anymore. Mostly, concerning stuff like homosexuality, tattoos, suicide, and I'm still undecided on same sex marriage. The Bible is an old document, written by many and translated and edited by more, and I think a lot of things turned out elitist in the end.

I will never stop believing there's a God, though. I just look at creation, and how trying to see Him in everything made my life brighter - but I like reading about religious debates and philosophical views that make us question everything. It's through that I became closer to Him anyhow, and I don't think God made us to be hollow, ignorant beings who blindly follow anything.

steppenwolf. wrote:

I think we're all worshiping the same God under different names and in different manners so I'm completely tolerant about other religions. I'm not tolerant to stupidity and fanatism though.

I'm starting to believe that too. Because God wouldn't be so unmerciful to damn someone just because they were raised in, say, a Muslim community with no chance to convert. Same with Him condemning people to hell for having sex with someone of the same gender, or killing themselves because life just got too hard. Only He knows what's in our hearts, so its unfair to judge people based on our limited human thinking.

So as long as you know God, believe in Him, and do what's right, try to love for Him, and not hurt anyone, I think it's good.

Yeah. I'm confusing. pedo y/y?
the way
the way
Red Scare

Male
Number of posts : 530

http://www.twitter.com/shindiggs

Back to top Go down

Post by zero Fri 19 Sep 2008, 2:59 pm

I don't know what I believe in. I'm Catholic, and I wonder off sometimes and go "fuckthisfuckthat" all the flippin' time. But I do believe in God, out of fear not faith. I sure don't want to go to hell.

But that's the thing. So many people make it look like if you don't believe in God, you'll go to Hell. It's like God is forcing you to believe him or else he'll punish you.

I don't mind having a religion, just not a so organized one. It really bothers me that I have to go to church every Sunday and stuff like that. But I guess that's me being twelve and ignorant, but really. I just hate that.
zero
zero
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1813

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Fri 19 Sep 2008, 4:52 pm

Mrs. Melting Crayons wrote:
steppenwolf. wrote:Religious youth organizations scare me. Quite a lot actually.

I don't really understand what you mean. Do you mean youth groups, with teenagers? Or things like brainwashing toddlers to think a certain religion is right? If it's the former, why does it scare you?
I think it's scary to see how older people put all kinds of destructive silly ideas into younger people's heads and hearts. When you're 13 your world is so small you know close to nothing, then you go and meet these people who seem nice and welcoming and they tell you all kinds of things about God and how you should act and they tell you they love you and so you believe everything they tell you.
I used to have to good friends who then got involved with youth groups and became two of the most closed minded people I know -I'm not saying that this happens to everyone- it's just scary to see how people who were open-minded and normal, to whom I could talk about everything now think that watching TV or hair dye is sinful. Not to mention matters of discrimination.

I don't think that you should be allowed to practice a religion until you're around 15. I don't think you can understand it fully until you're older, you've read and got to know the world a bit.

But particularly, there's this Orthodox youth organization-or something like that, they have full support of the Church, they call themselves God's Army or someone else's Army- and they do all kinds of scary things like boycott events, protest, get into fights. They're ultra-nationalist, almost fascist, completely homophobic and close minded and not at all peaceful.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Fri 19 Sep 2008, 4:56 pm

I was a Christian, then lots of bad things happened when i was sevenish, so I decided God wasn't real and stopped believing.

But now I'm starting to wonder, so right now I'm classing myself as an agnostic because I'm confused.
tony stark
tony stark
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartswell. Fri 19 Sep 2008, 7:40 pm

I honestly believe in an upper power, it may or not be God but my faith fluctuates from time to time.
Some times I see things that prove that there's someone watching out for us out there, some times I think things over and wonder and it all comes down to that this world isn't pointless.
But I tend not to doubt God in front of everyone else because they already think I'm crossing the line by commenting on preachers and my sister thinks that supporting homosexuality is 'ewww'. [and she [and my best friend] are the only ones know this fact IRL]. you have pleased him
Heartswell.
Heartswell.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 637

Back to top Go down

Post by zero Fri 19 Sep 2008, 7:52 pm

steppenwolf. wrote:
Mrs. Melting Crayons wrote:

I don't think that you should be allowed to practice a religion until you're around 15. I don't think you can understand it fully until you're older, you've read and got to know the world a bit.
I agree with this one. hmmmm When I was in fourth grade, I said I didn't know who the fudge God was. ._. I failed a class.

But that's not the point. >.> When you're younger, people tell you like... going to heaven is living on a cloud, stuff like that. Wait, bad example. >.>

When you're a kid, you don't really have an opinion... I think. Well, I didn't so, basing from myself, you just follow all the grown-ups do. And when you grow up still believing what the other people told you, thus, you are close-minded. I didn't take religion seriously when I was younger.
zero
zero
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1813

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrisole Q. Kazoo Sat 20 Sep 2008, 7:54 am

A little bit agnostic. More athiest.
A good portion of my best friends are Christian, one's Buddhist.

It's all good.
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 2291

http://www.myspace.com/_tragic_with_a_capital_T_

Back to top Go down

Post by sullen riot. Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:12 pm

My immediate family's never been religious, but I've grown up with a lot of religious diversity around me. I went to a christian primary school, we prayed and sang hymns every day. One of my aunts work for a church, and another one believes in Dalai Lama (Tibetan Buddhism). And then, most of my family on my mother's side are Buddhists, although not practicing.

I've never been a devout Christian, although I went to a Christian school. Now that I'm older and I've really thought things through, I guess I'm leaning between Agnostic and Atheist. I really don't believe that there is a higher power, considering the way things are turning out, but I'd like there to be. whatnow? O_O

I think, ideally, religion's a beautiful thing. Faith, hope, spirituality.. I just really don't like how hypocritical and commercial religion has become. I don't like what a lot of churches stand for, and tbh, I think fighting over religion is stupid. In the most grassroots sense, all religions are the same. You have faith in God. Your gods might be different, but it's an upper power, and you have faith in him/her. Why fight over it? -__-

Anyway, I'm cool with most religions. A lot of people from my school are of different religions. My best friend was brought up in a highly religious family, I have other close friends who are Buddhists, Muslims, you name it. I respect their choice, but I don't appreciate people trying to convert me. If I believe in it, I'd convert myself, youknow?

I think I've rambled too much now. ><
sullen riot.
sullen riot.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 613

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Sat 20 Sep 2008, 1:39 pm

baptised catholic, but leaning towards no religion.
i haven't voluntarily attended church for over two years, i don't really believe in it, etc.
who knows, maybe one day i'll go back (as my mother fervently hopes) but right now, it's not for me.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1912

http://www.twitter.com/hellopolly

Back to top Go down

Post by gloria- Mon 22 Sep 2008, 10:17 pm

i was baptized christian. my dad was baptized catholic. i think my mom was baptized protestant.
my grandmother is a veryvery CATHOLIC. church twice a week [maybe more] says a rosary every day, prays when she leaves the house, crosses herself before starting the car, made us pray before bed when she babysat us every day for like twelve years.
personally, my beliefs are probably closest to buddhism, though i don't practice any religion. in fact, i haven't been to a true mass since a wedding three years ago, and only because they are my cousins and it was necessary. discounting that, it's been six and a half years and i could tell you the last time: may fourth, 2002 - a funeral.

in my opinion, God is flawed. i do believe in Him but i think that if He really was ambivalent, He wouldn't need worship. He wouldn't need, you know, churches and donations and that. i also believe that there wouldn't be Hell, since God is all-forgiving.

having said that, i also believe in something like karma, only it's more like, what goes around, comes around.

i wouldn't say i'm afraid to, but i definitely don't feel it necessary to put myself into a specific religion. catholicism holds no true appeal to me, and neither does christianity. i believe that every religion has its problems, so once i classify myself, i'll end up with some of them too.

having said all that, i've been in two christian christmas pageants: once as a five-month-old baby [i was the baby jesus] and once as an angel. neither was my choice. we've still got the video of me as a placid little blob in some teenage girl's arms.
gloria-
gloria-
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 1860

http://tinkerbell.21.forumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Mon 22 Sep 2008, 11:30 pm

Heartswell. wrote:I honestly believe in an upper power, it may or not be God but my faith fluctuates from time to time.
Some times I see things that prove that there's someone watching out for us out there, some times I think things over and wonder and it all comes down to that this world isn't pointless.
But I tend not to doubt God in front of everyone else because they already think I'm crossing the line by commenting on preachers and my sister thinks that supporting homosexuality is 'ewww'. [and she [and my best friend] are the only ones know this fact IRL]. you have pleased him
I sometimes pretend that God doesn't exist. Or let's say choose to believe He doesn't.
I don't think you can just start believing at one point and be 100% convinced that you're right and that God exists all your life. It's not normal to not doubt yourself.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by she had the world. Mon 29 Sep 2008, 3:09 pm

I was Christened as a Christian, but I'm more Agnostic.

I use to attend Church, and went to Sunday school when I was a lot younger but I don't now... nor does my family. I have reasons for what I believe, and I don't like the idea of going to Church every Sunday- because it's just not me.

Sometimes I don't know what to believe in when it comes to Religion, because the way I see it is that all religions have different Gods... and all religion does is cause conflict. I don't understand why I am suppose to believe in a God who I don't feel is.. real. Idk, I don't feel that there is any superior beings...

But then I don't believe in the big bang theory, either.

Religion is a difficult subject for me, I guess.
she had the world.
she had the world.
Administrator.

Female
Number of posts : 509

Back to top Go down

Post by P R I N C E S S Mon 29 Sep 2008, 3:48 pm

I am baptised as a Catholic, but my parents (and even their parents- except my dad's mum) were never strong followers of the faith. I probably have the strongest faith of anyone in my household, I wanted to state that because a lot of people believe that people follow religion nowadays purely because that is what has been shoved down their throat since birth. Wrong.

As a kid I went to mass, at Christmas- maybe. I also used to sing at the masses sometimes, but that was just because it was through school- not the church.

Then 6 years ago I started alter serving, most people do it for like 2 years. I've kept it up, and intend to until I finish school.

I would consider myself mildly religious. More than most of my friends, and family. I believe a lot of what the church says, but I also have a brain and have studied a lot of the corruption and lies within the early church. I believe the fundamental believes of the church like The Great Commandment etc.
However the finer points of gay people, lack of tolerance for other religions and other things that just don't fit with my ideals and what I consider contemporary ideals I have a harder time believing.

I still however consider myself Catholic.
P R I N C E S S
P R I N C E S S
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 639

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Fri 03 Oct 2008, 4:38 pm

I was baptised, and have done all the sacraments and stuff, but to be honest, I hold little faith in the religion, and God.

I only go to mass when my grandother makes me for Christmas.
Even last year we failed to go.
My little sister, however, was baptised Church of England and shes the most religious out of all of us.
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceration Adrisole. Thu 09 Oct 2008, 8:43 pm

We study religions in school and people despise RE but it's because they try and force it upon us. I personally am taking a liking to the idea of God and all the theories such as causation which I enjoyed studying but I think teachers could go about offering RE in a different way, people kind of see it as a chore here, really hmmmm
Laceration Adrisole.
Laceration Adrisole.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 833

http://myspace.com/zerokilledok

Back to top Go down

Post by lyrical_mess Wed 15 Oct 2008, 8:27 pm

I believe in God and science.

I was raised a Hindu and I pray according to that. But to me...God is God. Allah is another word for Baghvaan, which is another word for God. Language can be a barrier. That's all.

I don't care what religion someone is. But I tell you right now, I despise being preached to, or told that only one religion is correct, even if its Hinduism. Because Hinduism was the first religion to preach tolerance. I hate being told I will not be saved if I don't convert.

I believe in some of the things they say in the Bible, the stuff about being uber-nice. I don't practice a whole lot though...>.>

And I place a lot of faith in science as well. And I don't believe in God and science as seperate entities. When you write a fantasy novel, you create a world, give it regions and names and you also have to have some rules about who gets magic, how one can manipulate it, etc. We're God's fantasy novel and science is the rules.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 519

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice in Wonderland. Thu 16 Oct 2008, 5:40 am

I don't believe one religion.
I mean, I "follow" one religion, but I don't believe in one.
Because the common thread in religion is faith.
And you can have faith in anything.
That's why I don't believe that one religon has the ticket to Heaven.
I believe all good people get rewarded with whatever afterlife they believe in.

And to me, I know I believe in the right thing (for me) because my soul feels at complete ease with it.
When I was younger I believed in things that my soul didn't feel at ease with and now I don't believe those things anymore.
Alice in Wonderland.
Alice in Wonderland.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 329

http://myspace.com/goaskdruscilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next