I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Disorders.

+13
we are galaxies.
rolo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Jack Skellington
Mr. Benzedrine
nimrod.
tony stark
makoto kino.
femmefatal
belle of the boulevard.
Insurgentes
Alice in Wonderland.
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mental Disorders. Empty Mental Disorders.

Post by Alice in Wonderland. Wed 17 Sep 2008, 10:20 am

Feel free to move if you want.

I know a lot of my friends have mental disorders. I have Bipolar and so do my mom and sister. My brother has depression.

But I do think it's being overdiagnosed now. I believe that all the people I know have it, I just think that in this world of medication, we are being quick to diagnose.

Someone I used to know was diagnosed based simply on family history. She did not display any of the the medical symptoms used to diagnose the disease. She was diagnosed Bipolar based on the fact that her uncle had it. That was it. No depression, no mania, nothing.

I think ADD is overdiagnosed in children and depression and Bipolar are overdiagnosed in teens. It's why I was misdiagnosed my eighth grade year, because they refused to diagnose a fourteen-year-old. Unfortunately, if they had, I would have been medicated and my junior year wouldn't have happened.

Thoughts?
Alice in Wonderland.
Alice in Wonderland.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 329

http://myspace.com/goaskdruscilla

Back to top Go down

Mental Disorders. Empty Re: Mental Disorders.

Post by Insurgentes Thu 25 Sep 2008, 11:49 am

I was "diagnosed" with ADD when I was seven years old. I was never tested. My doctor used the reasoning of since my siblings had it, I must have it too. I used to make straight A's until then. My grades plummeted and I was on ritalin for seven years.

I've never actually been diagnosed with anything since then, but I've also never bothered to get checked. I'm fairly sure I've got depression. There's a few others I suspect as well, but I'm not going to be so quick as to jump the gun on it right now.

Insurgentes
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 415

http://serena-vox.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Mon 29 Sep 2008, 12:52 am

i've been provisionally diagnosed with adjustment disorder to explain an overdose i took in may.
i have symptoms of others too, but i don't want to believe that i have them because it feels like i'm resigning myself to something like that.
i don't want to be labelled as such but i'm always conscious there might be something there.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1912

http://www.twitter.com/hellopolly

Back to top Go down

Post by femmefatal Sat 04 Oct 2008, 9:18 am

I definitely agree with the over-diagnosis of ADD

and I think self diagnosis of ADD is occurring a lot now

I know someone who tried to blame a C in biology on self diagnosed ADD

and her reasoning was that if something isn't interesting to her that it couldn't hold her attention..like biology I guess
femmefatal
femmefatal
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Sat 04 Oct 2008, 3:55 pm

My dad has diagnosed depression, so does my mum.
There is a bunch of stuff he hasn't been diagnosed with though, that we KNOW he has.
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Mon 06 Oct 2008, 3:21 pm

people think i have various things because of how i am and used to be. i have to go see some woman next tuesday. i'm scared in all honesty.
tony stark
tony stark
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down

Post by makoto kino. Tue 07 Oct 2008, 6:37 am

I've been seeing psychologists since I was 5 and my mother left.
Thee aren't any real great ones where we live though, so mum is trying to get me one in Sydney.
To be honest, it isn't that bad.
The lady I've been seeing was a total arse wipe though.
She'd ask stupid pointless questions and couldn't even remember my name -eyeroll-
makoto kino.
makoto kino.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by nimrod. Wed 08 Oct 2008, 11:41 pm

I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder.
Panic attacks and anorexia at a very young age.
I inherited both from my mother. I wasn't misdiagnosed, though they did stick me with Fluoxetine to make it all go away.
I've had two psychologists since then, both flakes that I saw only a few times.
nimrod.
nimrod.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Benzedrine Wed 24 Dec 2008, 5:56 pm

'

Last edited by Mr. Benzedrine on Sun 16 Aug 2009, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Benzedrine
Mr. Benzedrine
New Recruit

Male
Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Wed 31 Dec 2008, 5:56 am

I know someone who was convinced he had depression because he saw symptoms on a web page. I was appalled.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Wed 31 Dec 2008, 6:31 am

At least 4 of my cousins have ADD. I do think it is over-diagnosed. It seems if you just can't pay attention you have ADD. My sister has anorexia...
My brother is going to have problems when he gets back from Afghanistan.
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 3690

http://ritaskellington.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Wed 31 Dec 2008, 10:44 am

red hot chili polly. wrote:I know someone who was convinced he had depression because he saw symptoms on a web page. I was appalled.

That's what gets me. It's a fucking trend to be sick. All these girls who say they dont eat for attention and then DO (fuck me life that pissed me off so bad when I was anorexic/bulimic, it honestly did but thats another story) and it's like its fucking fashionable to be emo and therefore depressed and a self-harmer of to be fucking bi anything.

Its just like... Fuck you. You are not bipolar. Youare not depressed. You are not anorexic. You are a TEENAGER. You have fluctuating emotions, hormones and low self esteem. That sucks like a motherfucker, yes, but until you've gone to a fucking psychiatrist, gotten a diagnosis and started councilling, YOU DO NOT HAVE INSERT MENTAL ILLNESS HERE.

I'd know; I've been clinically diagnosed with anorexia AND bulimia, OCD and depression.

I mean, if its a legit diagnosis then of corse I'm going to believe you; I'll feel really fucking sorry for you because the people who have two down days and decide that they're mentally unstable really detract from people who actually do have a diagnosis.

Just... ugh. We've got enough professionals over-diagnosing, let alone people home-diagnosing themselves with serious mental conditions.

...>.< I'm done now. You can unblock your figurative ears.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Fri 02 Jan 2009, 4:48 am

i love how what i have isn't classified as a disorder by some psychiatrists.

and how it's coming back in a huge way.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Fri 02 Jan 2009, 8:36 am

Actually, pulling hair out from stress is known as Trichotillomania, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a psychiatrist who doesnt categorize it as a disorder.

I get annoyed when whiny try-hard emo kids bitch about being sick with mental illnesses the found on myspace/vampirefreaks/quizilla.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Fri 02 Jan 2009, 8:53 am

^LOL MIKEY.

It's annoying when people self-diagnose themselves with things they are convinced they have just by watching commercials for pharmaceuticals. It annoys me. -headdesk-

Especially when they "ask their doctor."
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrisole Q. Kazoo Fri 02 Jan 2009, 9:03 am

^ but then again, it DOES suck to be in the dark about a condition you may have for a long time...

whatnow? O_O
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 2291

http://www.myspace.com/_tragic_with_a_capital_T_

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Fri 02 Jan 2009, 9:12 am

I know what you mean, but then there are people who are CONVINCED they have (put mental disorder here). It's just *annoying*

Have you experienced this Jenna? Mental Disorders. 214378
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Fri 02 Jan 2009, 9:13 am

I told my doctor I've been having constant panic attacks. I told him that I was worried about it, and that maybe it's an anxiety disorder.
I told him everything that's been going on, he sent me to another doctor, and it turns out I have depression and an anxiety disorder.
here's the surprise.
this fancy new Doctor asked my mom about family history and mental illnesses and it turns out my dad has the same thing.
(14 years and you think I would know, right?)
this was recent.
December 23 was the day I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression.
I'm not sure if they'll give me any magic pills or anything.
I haven't told anyone yet, and because of this reason: they would think I'm either overreacting or lying or being one of the said fake emo kids.
I've always hated when these teenagers would whine about how they think their life is terrible and they think they are ill. I just hope I'm not one of them :/
haha and I hope this post wasn't as stupid as it looks to me.
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 931

http://rolomflurry.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrisole Q. Kazoo Fri 02 Jan 2009, 9:26 am

(Linzy, I've known you long/well enough to know you'd never fake anything like that. <3)

Ugh, prescribing pills. That's another thing that gets on my nerves. Not for every case, but you know.

You don't look stupid, love. (:

Anxiety disorders suck.

I was going to add something to this, but it's kind of offtopic, so I'm gonna make a new topic, haha.
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Crusader

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Fri 02 Jan 2009, 9:32 am

It's sad how people think prescriptions will save their lives. Sometimes they do, but (with my self-diagnosis rant earlier) sometimes it's just people convincing themselves they need it. Ti's annoying.

What were you going to say that was off-topic Jenna?
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Fri 02 Jan 2009, 10:28 am

Oh god dont

Dont go on the medication unless you NEED it.

I wasted a year of my life and a perfectly good arm on medication. it ruined me.

Seriously; do anything you can to try and get better without that stuff. It can help, yes, but it just as often harms.

My psychologist told me a story about a girl who had one (obviously not saying this is your case) anxiety attack. She told a doctor, who sent her to a psych, who gave her meds, which messed her up, causing her to need more meds, which messed her up more, so on so forth. She spent her entire life on medication because of one panic attack, and at 50 something, she was finally saying this, only a year after finally stopping the fucking things.

>_< I nearly cried.

And, no, self-diagnosis when you ask people is fine. I asked my psychiatrist about my obsessive traits and he told me that it was most definitely OCD, and then explained that it was the same mentality as my eating disorder - the brain subconsciously hates its lack of control, so it focuses in on one tiny thing and convinces itself that as long as this thing is okay, the rest of the world is, too.

It made perfect sense - why it had been getting steadily worse as my depression did, why is peaked with my compulsive bulimia, and why it's now pretty manageable.

He DID however want to put me on more meds - triple my dose in fact - which I refused to let him do. Two weeks after that I'd come off my pills completely. I needed to get better alone, I think.

I mean, I'm also pretty convinced now that I have ADD/ADHD. I exhibit every common symptom of each strain of the disorder (and you can have a combined one with symptoms from both)

I don't mean this like a 'LOLOLOL I'M SO HYPER' thing - I do it all; the constant jittering, the lack of concentration, the obsession with starting things I don't finish, the procrastination, the loudless and the fact that I can never stop talking, the ridiculous tangents I go off on, the insomnia, the 'attention seeking', the difficulty I've always had communicating verbally, my creative side; this disorder actually encompasses me.

But the thing is I dont need a diagnosis because I've ALWAYS been like this. My depression was something i developed. It wasn't me. But even if 'me' is a disorder, I'm not changing it. I've always been the weird kid who talked too loud, too fast, who got yelled at because they'd subconsciously bounce a leg or fiddle or chew a pen or bite all their nails off. Even as I write this I realise I'm bouncing one foot in my lap and chewing on my lip ring. Even the anxiety attacks can be explained by this.

I guess... IDK. This, whether its true that I have it or not, is not something I'd take drugs for. I think the main reason I'd want a diagnosis is because it means all those years I struggled in school, all the time I desperately wondered why I was failing when everyone knew how intelligent I was, they weren't wasted. That there IS a reason I've never been, am not, can't be 'normal'.

But I guess everyone's situation is different.

Last edited by testosterone boy on Thu 08 Jan 2009, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Fri 02 Jan 2009, 10:44 am

I've never understood how medication can help a disorder.
based on the stories that I have heard of medication, it seems as though they can only make it worse...
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 931

http://rolomflurry.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by we are galaxies. Fri 02 Jan 2009, 8:09 pm

Linzy Marionette wrote:I've never understood how medication can help a disorder.
based on the stories that I have heard of medication, it seems as though they can only make it worse...

that varies from person to person, honestly. for me, my medication made me really numb, and we decided it was best i don't continue to use it.

for other people, they need the medication. for some, it calms them down. for others, it really does help balance out what's messed up chemically in their brain. it really, really depends on what the medication is, why they're giving to you, ect ect.

there isn't like, one set medication for a problem, you know? it's a lot of trial and error. i've tried three so far, and all of them have made me worse in some way.

but like i said, for some it really is helpful. it just depends. but like mikey said above, don't ask your doctor or whoever to help you get medication unless you know you need it. i see my doctor for mine, so that's a help because she can help me decide if i really need it, you know?

just depends. it can screw you up, or it can really help.
we are galaxies.
we are galaxies.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 860

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Sat 03 Jan 2009, 6:12 am

sounds like me, mikey.
but i've always been brought up to believe that anything i do is my personality, like i have hysterical fits where i bawl my eyes out for an hour, etc, to the point where i've needed sedation, that's just my personality.
i walk out of the house during arguments and act completely possessed, like, i do anything but think things through when i'm upset or angry. the worst of it was probably on holiday, i walked out of the hotel where we were staying (barefoot) and down onto the rocks, contemplated throwing myself off them. or another time when i walked out the house (again, barefoot) and into the next village, then the graveyard to see my dad.
but yeah, i've been told by my mum that it's just how i am, by my friends i need to sort it out because i'm fucked and there's something wrong with me, and by my family that it hurts my mum so i shouldn't do it.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrisole Q. Kazoo Sat 03 Jan 2009, 6:35 am

red hot chili polly. wrote:sounds like me, mikey.
but i've always been brought up to believe that anything i do is my personality, like i have hysterical fits where i bawl my eyes out for an hour, etc, to the point where i've needed sedation, that's just my personality.
i walk out of the house during arguments and act completely possessed, like, i do anything but think things through when i'm upset or angry. the worst of it was probably on holiday, i walked out of the hotel where we were staying (barefoot) and down onto the rocks, contemplated throwing myself off them. or another time when i walked out the house (again, barefoot) and into the next village, then the graveyard to see my dad.
but yeah, i've been told by my mum that it's just how i am, by my friends i need to sort it out because i'm fucked and there's something wrong with me, and by my family that it hurts my mum so i shouldn't do it.

Yeah... sounds like how my mom doesn't believe in 'depression.'

She thinks... like, it's not a 'disorder,' it's a 'feeling.'
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Crusader

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next