I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Disorders.

+13
we are galaxies.
rolo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Jack Skellington
Mr. Benzedrine
nimrod.
tony stark
makoto kino.
femmefatal
belle of the boulevard.
Insurgentes
Alice in Wonderland.
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mental Disorders. - Page 3 Empty Re: Mental Disorders.

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Mon 12 Jan 2009, 7:20 pm

That's who I was talking about, Janelle. I just didnt want to name names in case she wasn't comfortable with it -shrug- I make it a policy not to until I know people are okay with it.

Schizophrenia is nothing like psychoticism; that's a completely different mental illness. Again, I knew a girl with it. She was actually murdered last year >_<

But, schizophrenia is generally created by the brain's inability to determine thoughts as thoughts. It can't process thinking, or some thinking, and so the next best explanation it can (subconsciously) offer itself is that it's hearing voices.

But yeah, it's the same with a lot of things. I know people with tourette's, for example. Most cases actually present like a basic form of spasticism (which is NOT an offensive term; spastic is not an insult, it is a legitimate strain of cerebral palsy.) in that sufferers display 'tics', where they might repetitively make a movement, or twitch/shudder without noticing/being able to control it.

It also induces random bursts of adrenaline, but again, this is actually rare, and it generally doesn't present as yelling swear words and insults. In fact I think that only about 2% of cases suffer from severe adrenaline surges.

>_< I wish there wasn't so many misconceptions.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Mon 12 Jan 2009, 9:42 pm

whatnow? O_O
Schizophrenia is a psychosis [as a psychosis is a mental disorder characterized by symptoms, such as delusions or hallucinations, that indicate impaired contact with reality.].

Psychoticism is actually a personality trail together with neuroticism and extroversion according to Eysenck. He characterized a person who has high levels of this trail as someone who has features that are usually found in psychotics and who is susceptible to becoming a psychotic later in life [under the influence of the environment]. In other words you can be psychoticist[?] without being psychotic.

As for antipsychotics, I don't think that most schizophrenia cases can be treated successfully just through therapy, well it's a chronic illness. You can't just talk someone out of having a hallucination or thinking that they're Jesus Christ. But my knowledge in this field is very limited.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Mon 12 Jan 2009, 10:21 pm

Sorry; I should have elabourated

When I say that, I don't mean the symptoms, I mean the processes/errors the brain goes through are different, regardless of results.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drummerspork Tue 13 Jan 2009, 9:14 am

i have something called schitzo-affective disorder, which is where symptoms of a mood disorder (i.e depression) and schitzophrenia are both present. I started "hearing voices" when i was about 13, mum put it down to the fact that I was "psychic", I therefore went without treatment and it went away for some reason scratch . Then, when I was 15, the voices came back. My girlfriend at the time thoght it was "cool" -narrows eyes-. This was just after my dad left. When I was 16 i decided to go to a psychiatrist and was put on medication. The medication made me feel like I was a zombie (bad comparison but its the best i can come up with) so I stopped taking it. Most of my friends don't know I have it, and when I tell them, they don't believe me most of the time. There are many severities of schitzophrenia, and you don't always have to be on medication to deal with it. People deal with it in different ways, just like anything else.
drummerspork
drummerspork
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Mon 19 Jan 2009, 6:42 pm

the doctors think i have depression because of how i react to situations and the states i work myself into.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1912

http://www.twitter.com/hellopolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrisole Q. Kazoo Thu 30 Apr 2009, 6:25 am

Okay, so, yeah, I've been feeling this for MONTHS and have finally found out what it is... don't know how common it is, but whatever >.>

Depersonalization (or depersonalisation) can be referred as a malfunction or anomaly of the mechanism in which an individual has awareness or perception of his or her own self. It is a feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation.[1] It can be considered desirable, such as in the use of recreational drugs, but it usually refers to the severe form found in anxiety and, in the most intense cases, panic attacks. A sufferer feels that he or she has changed and the world has become less real, vague, dreamlike, or lacking in significance. It can sometimes be a rather disturbing experience, since many feel that, indeed, they are living in a "dream".

:s Anyone else have this? ijewfjdsidsf. Idek, I just looked up 'foggy feeling' because it feels like I can't... focus completely anymore and that came up.
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 2291

http://www.myspace.com/_tragic_with_a_capital_T_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3