I am Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Disorders.

+13
we are galaxies.
rolo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Jack Skellington
Mr. Benzedrine
nimrod.
tony stark
makoto kino.
femmefatal
belle of the boulevard.
Insurgentes
Alice in Wonderland.
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mental Disorders. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mental Disorders.

Post by rolo Sat 03 Jan 2009, 10:00 am

we are galaxies. wrote:that varies from person to person, honestly. for me, my medication made me really numb, and we decided it was best i don't continue to use it.

for other people, they need the medication. for some, it calms them down. for others, it really does help balance out what's messed up chemically in their brain. it really, really depends on what the medication is, why they're giving to you, ect ect.

there isn't like, one set medication for a problem, you know? it's a lot of trial and error. i've tried three so far, and all of them have made me worse in some way.

but like i said, for some it really is helpful. it just depends. but like mikey said above, don't ask your doctor or whoever to help you get medication unless you know you need it. i see my doctor for mine, so that's a help because she can help me decide if i really need it, you know?

just depends. it can screw you up, or it can really help.

that makes much more sense.
my doctor said he might prescribe SOMETHING for me, but was very unclear. I have another appointment with him on the sixth, so I guess I'll ask him then.
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 931

http://rolomflurry.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sat 03 Jan 2009, 10:25 am

Dude that pisses me off so much >_>

If something can be clinically diagnosed I don't understand how so many people think its okay to just 'decide' it doesn't exist.

I mean, it's been scientifically proven. It's to do with receptors in the brain becoming depressed. They cant process the dopamine and/or seratonin that your brain releases to raise/stabilise moods, so you become depressed.

>_>

Last edited by testosterone boy on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male
Number of posts : 3875

http://mformikey.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Sat 03 Jan 2009, 10:42 am

depression should always be taken seriously in my opinion.
after crying on the phone with a friend, she told me she wouldn't be suicidal and she would never do anything to hurt me again.
the next week she said she wanted to die.
I don't talk to her anymore, but I do worry about her and her lying self...
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sat 03 Jan 2009, 10:52 am

You cant really say that >_> its not fair.

I've been in her position.

It's not that you dont TRY to gt better, its just that you cant.

Last edited by testosterone boy on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Sat 03 Jan 2009, 12:15 pm

I was in denial at first, but then I did realize she was serious.
it's just, I had to find out she was still depressed through another friend. I confirmed this by asking the depressed friend herself.
I meant she was a liar because she didn't even tell me.
she's getting professional help now.
I just wish that she wouldn't try and hide things from me.
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sat 03 Jan 2009, 12:36 pm

Ohh.

Well you know I guess in her defense, it's not... something thats easy to talk about. Nor is it something you want to worry people about :/

Last edited by testosterone boy on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Sat 03 Jan 2009, 2:26 pm

you're so right.
I didn't think it through, being so caught up with my own emotions.
then again she also hides things from me.
but that's just her.
I'm kinda wondering how she's doing now, lol...
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sat 03 Jan 2009, 4:34 pm

You should ask ^_^

unless you've completely burned that bridge, it's pretty much never too late.
And if she's that badly depressed she'll need anyone who cna help her, even if its sonething as little as knowing there's someone there for her who she might not talk to, but who cares nonetheless.

Trust me, being suicidal is bad enough. Being suicidal andf alone?

v.v the memories are actually that bad that I cant think about it without being miserable.

Last edited by testosterone boy on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by belle of the boulevard. Sat 03 Jan 2009, 9:14 pm

i don't think it's deciding it doesn't exist, but that she doesn't want to accept that i'm not completely all there.
belle of the boulevard.
belle of the boulevard.
Leading by Example

Female
Number of posts : 1912

http://www.twitter.com/hellopolly

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sat 03 Jan 2009, 9:21 pm

It's nothing to be ashamed of ._.

If you can get sick in the body, why cant you get sick in the head?

But I was actually referrign to jenna's post -shrug-

Last edited by testosterone boy on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rolo Sat 03 Jan 2009, 11:27 pm

^ you make good points o.o'
My dad hasn't totally accepted my problem yet either.
he laughed when I told him, actually. but that's just him in denial.
(I sometimes wonder if he'll ever accept it.)
I think for parents and even friends it's hard to see someone they love suffer from a mental disorder...
rolo
rolo
Red Scare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrisole Q. Kazoo Sun 04 Jan 2009, 12:38 am

Linzy Marionette wrote:^ you make good points o.o'
I think for parents and even friends it's hard to see someone they love suffer from a mental disorder...

Agreed.

And sometimes, I guess denial is the easiest way out.
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Adrisole Q. Kazoo
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 2291

http://www.myspace.com/_tragic_with_a_capital_T_

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Sun 04 Jan 2009, 12:40 am

Adrisole Q. Kazoo wrote:
Linzy Marionette wrote:^ you make good points o.o'

Agreed.

And sometimes, I guess denial is the easiest way out.
Denial is ALWAYS the easiest way out.
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 3690

http://ritaskellington.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drackie. Thu 08 Jan 2009, 8:49 pm

I was diagnosed with clynical depression when I was twelve, I was forced to see the psych.
I have indigenous depression. Which is just a chemical inbalance. I got from my mum.
I have Bi-Polar.

I was diagnosed with a bunch of phobias/fears between eleven and fourteen, like:
misaphobia[germs],
coulrophobia[clowns],
claustrophobia[small spaces],
pnigophobia[not being able to breathe, choking, smothering ect. which is helpful since I'm asthmatic.],
necrophobia[corpses],
agrophobia[crowded places],
thanatophobia[dying],
acrophobia[heights],
cleithrophobia[locked in closed spaces],
eremophobia[being alone],
agoraphobia[open spaces.
fear of closed and open spaces, well aren't I screwed?
hydrophobia[water],
nyctophobia[nighttime/the dark],
lygophobia[being in dark places],
achluophobia[darkness in general].

amazing that I remember all of those. [/smug]

but I can have.. attacks of those for example, if I'm in a very unclean place, in a small place for too long, being in water where I can't touch the ground, being up high or being in the dark. I freak out, and I have panic attacks.

and I want to see a psych because I think I might have a type of schitzophrenia. But I wont be all like... "OMG I HAS IT" until I'm sure.
drackie.
drackie.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 686

Back to top Go down

Post by rock and/or roll Sat 10 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm

Can anyone who has OCD tell me what it's like having it?
I think I might have it in its early stages or something, but I don't want to self-diagnose.
rock and/or roll
rock and/or roll
Literary Mentor

Female
Number of posts : 860

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sat 10 Jan 2009, 11:00 pm

It's... pretty much certain things feel wrong. Like, if you don't do certain rituals, have things in a specific amount or order, etc, it just doesnt feel right. Some people have a fear of germs and a need to constantly check locks too, but I only had it to do with rituals and equality -shrug-
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Sat 10 Jan 2009, 11:38 pm

testosterone boy wrote:
I mean, I'm also pretty convinced now that I have ADD/ADHD. I exhibit every common symptom of each strain of the disorder (and you can have a combined one with symptoms from both)

I don't mean this like a 'LOLOLOL I'M SO HYPER' thing - I do it all; the constant jittering, the lack of concentration, the obsession with starting things I don't finish, the procrastination, the loudless and the fact that I can never stop talking, the ridiculous tangents I go off on, the insomnia, the 'attention seeking', the difficulty I've always had communicating verbally, my creative side; this disorder actually encompasses me.

But the thing is I dont need a diagnosis because I've ALWAYS been like this. My depression was something i developed. It wasn't me. But even if 'me' is a disorder, I'm not changing it. I've always been the weird kid who talked too loud, too fast, who got yelled at because they'd subconsciously bounce a leg or fiddle or chew a pen or bite all their nails off. Even as I write this I realise I'm bouncing one foot in my lap and chewing on my lip ring. Even the anxiety attacks can be explained by this.

I guess... IDK. This, whether its true that I have it or not, is not something I'd take drugs for. I think the main reason I'd want a diagnosis is because it means all those years I struggled in school, all the time I desperately wondered why I was failing when everyone knew how intelligent I was, they weren't wasted. That there IS a reason I've never been, am not, can't be 'normal'.

But I guess everyone's situation is different.
There's a boy in our class who has some kind of attention deficit disorder, but it's nothing like hyperness, it's scary actually. He just can't stay still and has completely immature reactions to events. And he can barely write although he's almost 18. Both him and his mother are under the impression that he's extremely intelligent though, well his mother refuses to see that he has a problem altogether. T__T

The idea that something as ridiculous as the quantity of a chemical in your brain can make you take your life just completely throws me off. I would rather believe it's some kind of curse. I've inherited a form of histadelia -high levels of histamine- from my mother. Now we're both okay, I think, but it's funny how the thing that causes harmless things like headaches, calcium deficiency or stomach pains, can make you go OCD. Maybe I'm just scared at that one day I'll wake up and be psychotic because I get a lot of headaches.
But I suppose that the fact that I can ask myself if I'm crazy is enough proof that I'm not. -shrug-
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female
Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post by rock and/or roll Sun 11 Jan 2009, 9:03 am

testosterone boy wrote:It's... pretty much certain things feel wrong. Like, if you don't do certain rituals, have things in a specific amount or order, etc, it just doesnt feel right. Some people have a fear of germs and a need to constantly check locks too, but I only had it to do with rituals and equality -shrug-
Thanks Mikey.

I have an obsession with the number three and multiples of three. >> I read things three times (like most signs near roads + sentences in books [which is just annoying]), I sometimes have to type things three times if I spell a word incorrectly the first time...is OCD a type of anxiety? I sometimes count when I'm walking. You know cracks in sidewalks? Yeah, I count how many steps I take on each seperate bit of sidewalk. I used to turn the bathroom light on and off, but I don't do that anymore (but that might just be because the lightbulb isn't working).

And I have to do the same thing before I go to bed each night - it doesn't even make sense. I think it's about when I was a little kid and was scared that there might be something under my bed. ><
rock and/or roll
rock and/or roll
Literary Mentor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Skellington Sun 11 Jan 2009, 9:06 am

OCD is a type of anxiety, in a way. You always need to feel everything's always perfect, right?

Anyway, most of the people in my family have ADD/ADHD. It's become almost funny if you don't have it in my family. I have trouble sleeping a lot, and that's why I read so much at night. I also am very spacey. :D but, maybe it's just a familial tendency.
Jack Skellington
Jack Skellington
Crusader

Female
Number of posts : 3690

http://ritaskellington.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sun 11 Jan 2009, 4:53 pm

I guess there's always, however, a difference between 'crazy' and the 'psychotic' that people actually get. I know someone with a mild form of schizophrenia but a

I like knowing it's a chemical imbalance because I know that if I'm sick, then I can get better. When I first started to acknowledge that I was depressed, my 'best friend' told me that admitting it was 'giving up
. But to me, it's the opposite.

I mean, I do have very legitimate reasons to be sad about my life, but my dad is one of the most optimistic people I know. He works a job he doesnt mind, plays music, has a lot of friends, never cries, but will be on antidepressants for the rest of his life, because without them, he hates his life for no good reason.

And I mean, there's scientific proof for most things -shrug- the big ones like depression,

And, yeah, that's why I can't really ask about it, because people assume I have that opinion. That if I think I have it, it's just that I'm a 'hyperactive' teenager. But from what I've read, it's almost like the manic part of bipolar - not running around like an idiot, but more constant agitation and fiddling; inability to concentrate even on things I love, procrastination, inability to relate to people, insomnia, overthinking.

I know a boy like that, although he actually is really intelligent. He's a ridiculously good mathemetician. I think might actually have some type of aspergers, because he fits the profile of the brain being purely for calculation - can do math, can do science, but can't understand human emotion.

Alice, that definitely sounds like it.

In fact I know someone with those compulsions o_o

Have you tried any kind of therapy?

Because cognitive behavioural therapy was what helped me stop with my rituals. They wanted to put me on meds for it, but it's 60mg of fluoxetine which is quite a lot, and I was already not doing to well on it.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rock and/or roll Sun 11 Jan 2009, 7:09 pm

^
I've never had any kind of therapy.
It's hard really. 'Cause I want to talk to someone about it, and my anxiety but that would stress me out. :/ It's not really bad though.
I mean, once when I went to the doctor to have my eyes checked, I got anxious in the waiting room, so my mum got me to mention it to the doctor. ><
rock and/or roll
rock and/or roll
Literary Mentor

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Sun 11 Jan 2009, 7:14 pm

testosterone boy wrote:I guess there's always, however, a difference between 'crazy' and the 'psychotic' that people actually get. I know someone with a mild form of schizophrenia but a

I like knowing it's a chemical imbalance because I know that if I'm sick, then I can get better. When I first started to acknowledge that I was depressed, my 'best friend' told me that admitting it was 'giving up
. But to me, it's the opposite.

I mean, I do have very legitimate reasons to be sad about my life, but my dad is one of the most optimistic people I know. He works a job he doesnt mind, plays music, has a lot of friends, never cries, but will be on antidepressants for the rest of his life, because without them, he hates his life for no good reason.

And I mean, there's scientific proof for most things -shrug- the big ones like depression,
Mom has a patient with schizophrenia who sometimes come by our house, he's a sculptor and makes things for us. And he's a nice person, I'm not saying schizophrenics are not. I think it has more to do with having control over things, hallucinations and dellutions are something over which you have no control. Moreover knowing that they're caused by chemical, that a silly enzime has more control over my life than I do gives me a strange feeling somewhere between terror and rage. -shrug-
testosterone boy wrote:And, yeah, that's why I can't really ask about it, because people assume I have that opinion. That if I think I have it, it's just that I'm a 'hyperactive' teenager. But from what I've read, it's almost like the manic part of bipolar - not running around like an idiot, but more constant agitation and fiddling; inability to concentrate even on things I love, procrastination, inability to relate to people, insomnia, overthinking.

I know a boy like that, although he actually is really intelligent. He's a ridiculously good mathemetician. I think might actually have some type of aspergers, because he fits the profile of the brain being purely for calculation - can do math, can do science, but can't understand human emotion.
Well this boy is nothing like that, I mean he's not passionate about anything and he's struggling with most subjects, I think here environment comes into question. His mother's a teacher and she makes sure teachers don't fail him while constantly assuring him that he's intelligent, amazing, etc. so he never has to take responsability for anything.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Sun 11 Jan 2009, 7:34 pm

kafka. wrote:
Mom has a patient with schizophrenia who sometimes come by our house, he's a sculptor and makes things for us. And he's a nice person, I'm not saying schizophrenics are not. I think it has more to do with having control over things, hallucinations and dellutions are something over which you have no control. Moreover knowing that they're caused by chemical, that a silly enzime has more control over my life than I do gives me a strange feeling somewhere between terror and rage. -shrug-

I didnt actually finish typing that o___o hows that for distraction/concentration issues

And, no, I get what you mean. I guess it just depends on the different ways people look at being 'sick'.

kafka. wrote:Well this boy is nothing like that, I mean he's not passionate about anything and he's struggling with most subjects, I think here environment comes into question. His mother's a teacher and she makes sure teachers don't fail him while constantly assuring him that he's intelligent, amazing, etc. so he never has to take responsability for anything.

>_< That's... never a good thing.

Do you think it's definitely some kind of learning disorder, or that maybe she's brought him up in this way so much that he's become... sort of institutionalised (in the 'stuck in an institution for so long you forget how to take care of yourself' way) by her overprotectiveness?
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
Administrator.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by proust. Sun 11 Jan 2009, 8:21 pm

testosterone boy wrote:>_< That's... never a good thing.

Do you think it's definitely some kind of learning disorder, or that maybe she's brought him up in this way so much that he's become... sort of institutionalised (in the 'stuck in an institution for so long you forget how to take care of yourself' way) by her overprotectiveness?
I think it's both, in a way his mother's overprotective nature just made everything worse. But it's obviously more than just the environment, I've met other kids who were adored and worshiped by their parents but they were all capable of writing and sitting still for more than 10 seconds.

This summer I saw a book about how depression and mental disorders in general were viewed over the ages, but I didn't buy it. I regret it now though, I think it would be an interesting read and maybe it would help me understand why people view sickness differently.
proust.
proust.
New Recruit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by drackie. Mon 12 Jan 2009, 5:28 pm

People seem to have misperceptions about schizophrenia.
My girlfriend has it, it's only mild.
But their not.. physcotic. Generally the reason people that idea because sometimes their hallucinations get to them.
But the plain truth is, the things they hear/see are just things they are thinking so far in the back of their mind they don't even realize.
So deep down they may have an erge to do something.
Mostly its trauma related if its that. But putting someone on medication for that is plain stupid, because it can be healed with therapy.

drackie.
drackie.
Red Scare

Female
Number of posts : 686

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next